Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full-length guide rod.

jhugz

Well being totally new to the 1911 platform, I've stumbled a bit on my build. I have a Ruger SR1911 and had the weight to put a full length guiderod in. Well little did my naive self know that I needed to replace the spring end cap to do that. Can anyone link me the cap I need on Dawson's website, as I've searched for it, yet Im unsure which to get. Thanks!

I have to be doing something wrong here. I ordered the above part and still can't get the full length guide rod to work. The bushing clears the spring cap but not the guide rod. Did I buy the wrong length guide rod? Does it need to be fitted. It only is about .1 of an inch to long to clear the bushing.

My 2 piece is how you describe the length. Can you get the bushing to turn if you assemble the slide when removed from the frame? Sometimes it will allow the guide rod to ride higher on the link and get you the extra .1 you need.

If it where mine, I would probably hit it with a file and shorten it. Just gives you more options if the gun ever seizes and you can't take the top end off to disassemble it.

My 2 piece is how you describe the length. Can you get the bushing to turn if you assemble the slide when removed from the frame? Sometimes it will allow the guide rod to ride higher on the link and get you the extra .1 you need.

If it where mine, I would probably hit it with a file and shorten it. Just gives you more options if the gun ever seizes and you can't take the top end off to disassemble it.

So I finally got it assembled by doing the above. Installing all slide components before putting it on the frame. Thanks for the help. It's going to the gunsmith soon, and I'll see if they can take some off the guide rod.