Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling the shot

Steve Anderson

Now that we've decided to call every shot, let's define what that means.

It means to know, as the gun fires, exactly where the bullet is going, and subsequently where it went.

It is seen from the sight picture as the gun fires. It means watching the dot or sights lift in recoil.

Think about it: If the sight picture is acceptable and you watch the front sight lift out of the notch, where could that bullet go except the target?

It's so liberating. Now you don't have to worriedly wonder if you "got all your hits." You don't have to listen for steel, and you certainly don't have to stand there and wait for it to fall.

(Wait a minute, all this sounds like it might improve stage times! Is it possible that Accuracy IS Speed?)

When I'm really shooting my best, I can actually score the stage from "unload and show clear." I can literally tell the RO, "I'm down 3 charlies on T2, T5, and T7."

And you can do it too. Start at 5 feet. Watch the sights lift and KNOW where the bullet went. Move back to 15 feet. Watch the sights lift and KNOW where the bullet went. Back to 30.

A great shooter KNOWS where the bullet goes.

(Uh-oh, that sounds like positive thinking at work!)

Now, as with all serious training techniques, there is a period of acclimation during which overall performance can decline. This is normal and will not last very long. it happens because when we make a change, it takes our brain and body a little time to unlearn the old and learn the new.

Never slow down, Just see more.

Now get to work.

And stay classy.

Thanks for stopping by.

Now get to work.

Tomorrow we'll talk about "level of participation" and goals.

Fake it til you make, stay classy, and thanks for stopping by.

Now get to work.