Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine followers which one?

jimbullet

I've been competing in standard using my p16-40. The mags need replacement as it appears to be jamming the last round where it just gets stuck in the tube and doesnt want to go up any further. Strangely I changed the springs to those 10%+ brownells and still it did the same. Seems to be that the follower may be tilting (not sure) and prevents the round from sliding upwards. Im now thinking if my combination might not be the ideal one.

I've got your standard 120mm para tubes, 10%+ browning p14/16 spring and the factory para follower.

Is the grams follower and spring better? Noticed though that Grams only sell it for STI and SVI guns. Does that mean that it cant be used on para mags?

What about the Bolen followers? Are they better in para mag tubes?

I don't understand. Are you talking about STI for Para tubes? In that case, I've had excellent results using Grams STI followers and springs. If you're talking about Para tubes, I've also had good results using Grams followers and springs, unfortunately, he isn't selling them any more. I've had the best luck with Para factory followers and ISMI springs. In a pinch, I've used Arredondo's followers, they work, but sometimes I need to use the magazine insert.

Sorry as I may have not been clear.

I have Para tubes, yes.

Its unfortunate that they have discontinued production of the grams followers for Para. Does that mean that the Grams followers intended for the STI tubes cannot function properly in a Para tube?

I tried the Arredondo follower but the post under the follower is too short that it keeps on falling off the spring. When I load the mag, it always has a catastrophic jam as the follower tilts and gets a cartridge jammed underneath the follower incapacitating the full mag. Hate to see this happen in a competition

I bought one arredondo spring and the follower clipped on it unlike the Brownells springs which easily fell off and would not stay on.

Despite this however, after putting the 17th round in the para tube, the arredondo follower flipped inside the tube causing one of the cartridges to wedge between the follower the the mag body jamming the entire magazine.

I think what happens is that because the 17th round is no longer supported by the ribs on the magazine tubes as these ribs taper off close to the bottom of the Para mag tube since originally the para mag tube was designed to hold 16 rounds only, this is where the arredondo follower fails as there is more room and tilts, which is no good.

The original para follower are better in this aspect allowing me to load up to 18 rounds without a flaw. However when firing the pistol and it is on its last couple of rounds left in the mag, the last two remaining cartridges gets wedged which will not allow the remaining two rounds to go up further and feed into the pistol.

I have deburred the inside of the mag for any sharp edges, applied silicon and cleaned the mag tubes but only after a couple of full magazine firing, the 3rd or 4th time I use the mag, it is jamming again. I've not even dropped the mags on the ground to get any more filther than what - residue from burning gun powder...