Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 for an AR on a L-N-L

I've read so many threads on how to do this I'm confused. Is there a reason why I cannot put a sizing depriming die in station #1, the powder measure in #2, powder check in #3 and the seating die in #4? This is for an AR using RCBS FL 2 die set. Will it work OK or am I missing something? All case prep will of course be done before hand.

Edited by JGH4445

Mine is Hornady resize/depriming die in station #1, the powder measure in #2, Hornady powder cop in #3, Hornady seating die in #4, Lee FCD in #5. Works fine.

Make sure that you are setting your shoulder back the correct distance. Get a Dillon or LE Wilson case headspace/shoulder gauge to set-up the die, you can't assume the die setup per the die directions will be right.

Why crimp was my question too. As far as head space gauges go, I've really never used one. I have a set of Hornady Stoney Point Comparator I use often for seating depth. Guess I'll get the 5 bushing set that goes with it to measure head space.

Why crimp ?

To prevent bullets moving around from a variety of reasons.

Maybe it will prevent a setback/pressure boo-boo.

Because .mil ammo is crimped.

Because some tests show crimped ammo is more consistent POI. Ignore ones that don't. Ignore that precision shooters don't crimp.

Because God made that 5th station for something, and who am I to question God?

Why crimp ?

In a semiauto rifle, set back is a concern, as is the bullet jumping forward when slammed into the chamber if the neck tension is not tight enough. Perhaps I was wrong but I assumed the OP was loading for a semi. If you're loading for a bolt and single loading a crimp is not necessary but may (or may not) help accuracy.

So a properly resized round will allow setback ? .Mil uses cannelure'd bullets as well.

..as is the bullet jumping forward when slammed into the chamber..

my .223 rounds are barely able to be pulled using a kinetic puller, I don't think this is much of an issue if you properly resize rounds. This is the first I've ever even heard of it.

..if the neck tension is not tight enough.

What constitutes tight enough? .003, .004, more, less? If a resizing die gives .003 neck tension, why crimp ?

Because some tests show crimped ammo is more consistent POI. Ignore ones that don't.

Why not ignore the one's that do ?

Because some tests show crimped ammo is more consistent POI. Ignore ones that don't.
Why not ignore the one's that do ?

Why ask why? Try Bud Dry.

Or, Because God made that 5th station for something, and who am I to question God?

Or, if you insist on a rational response, try this: I can't tell if each one of the mixed range cases I use has proper neck tension by looking at them. I am well aware that variances in range brass may exist even after the case is run through a "properly set up die". I am sure as hell not measuring each case neck. I am sure as hell not buying new brass to reload. So running a taper crimp may reduce any feeding problems or setback problems or set forward problems. And that 5th station is right the flip there. Which brings me back to: who am I to question God?