Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-fitting an extractor

mcoliver

Read about the extractor tuning tips and since my gun was working then, forgot about it till yesterday. This may also explain why my ejection pattern doesn't seem to change much regardless of how I shape the ejector.

I've been putting the shell snug up the breech face when checking for tension. Didn't realize the shell has to slide down some during unlocking, and it's at this point that the extractor SHOULD still be working, right?

Well, mine seems to be a hit or miss. Sometimes it holds the shell (last round ejects), sometimes not (last round either gets caught in the port or not at all.) I "tuned" the extractor before to have a radius on the claw and behind it (so the rim can slide up easily). I must have rounded it too much.

I'm hoping to increase tension so it'll hold the shell consistenly in this "barrel unlocked" position. I increased tension on the extractor by bending it more but it didn't help.

Can I file on the area behind the claw and make it deeper? Any other tips short of buying a new one and runnnig to the smith?

Thanks a lot.

When checking extractor tension I disassemble the top half and slide a dummy round under the extractor. I put the barrel back in and push it up into the locking lugs and then slide the barrel back out of the slide. The round should stay put.

I bought an extractor tuning tool from Brownells that's made by Jack Weigand. It works really well. They also sell a kit that you can measure the amount of tension.

You could try to deepen the cut. At this point what do you have to loose. When you radius the extreactor behind the claw just barely round the edge.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

How many rounds do you have through your gun? If it's a lot buy 2 new ones. polish the side of the hook, the front of the hook and then under cut the bottom of the side slightly with a file and polish, and then adjust the tension. Try it! if it works you are golden boy. Why 2 you ask? that way if you mess the 1st one up you still have a spare, and you don't have to pay a smith. Most guys and girls that have been playing this game are gunsmiths they just work on thier own guns.

ADIOS

Ivan

SCS Vegas :):)

you did it again, huh, mc_o?!? tsk, tsk

:)

Yes, yes, I know, I know....I haven't touched the dremel or the files yet. :P

Running with a thick buff feels too good, it's hard to let it go. It seems it'll run without the buff but further testing is needed.

Thanks for the replies guys. This is probably God's way of punishing me for straddling the border between the dark and light side. :D:ph34r: