Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with stange transitional CZ

IuniusBrutus

Cross posting from CZ-forums to see if anyone here has a clue:

So I was at the local gun shop tonight, and they had a pre-B CZ85 on the shelf for $400 in incredibly good shape with no import marks. I got all giddy and was about to pull out the plastic for it, when I noticed the following things:

Slide is marked as a (I think) 1988 build.

Spur hammer

No firing pin block

Staked on front-sight

Frame is marked Czechoslovakia

All sounds good, right? Except it had the following as well:

Squared-off serrated trigger guard

Big adjustable rear sight - I can't find a picture, but it had a screw set into the slide underneath it to adjust for windage

Non-enamel finish - I think polycoat?

All three serial numbers match on it - slide, frame barrel. Not only that, but the serial is REALLY low - 00078x. So, if the frame is original to the slide, it shouldn't have a "B" style trigger guard, since they weren't making them then. The only thing I can think of is that they damaged the frame somehow, and had the frame replaced with a "B" frame using the old internals, which was stamped with the original serial and then the whole pistol refinished in the newer finish. That still doesn't explain the Czechoslovakia rollmark though.

Any thoughts? If this is a mixmaster of some sort I don't really want to spend the money on it, but if not...

The squared trigger guard was introduced on the 85, only later incorporated into the 75b frame design. the rear sight is also factory, but uncommon if it's the type I'm thinking of....

http://home.mchsi.com/~cz75fan.mo/cz85.jpg

That's it! You rock!

So, this is an ALL factory pistol then - it was $400. Is that a good price for this with no import markings and 95%+ finish?