Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting in a 1911/handgun

MrMuscleBilly

Hey guys I have a SW1911 and I bought a 10-8 sight set, that I'm going to install. What is a good method to zero them in? My local indoor range goes to 28 yards. There are methods I hear of "If your shot group is shooting left move the rear sight right" or the "chase the bullet with the front sight post" I'm confused. Then I hear of using some mathmactical formula with the sight radius' and in the end you have to move the sight .012 right. How do I determine if I moved it that much? What do I move first the front or rear? Hope you guys understand this post and what I'm trying to get at. Thanks

Move the rear sight in the direction you want to move the point of impact, front sight opposite. It helps sometimes to place a yardstick or something similar on the top of the slide then swivel it to where you want the point of impact to go, it's pretty obvious which way to move the sight.

Usually if you are careful on the install and center everything up you wont be too far off. I installed the 10-8 sights on my Glock and forgot to loctite the set screw after I zeroed them- rear sight came off during dry fire. I centered them on the slide and shot a match, plenty of alphas. If there is a set screw remember to use loctite when you are done.

Think of similar triangles, if your target is 28 yards, 1008 inches, and you want to move the point of impact 6 inches and your sight radius is 5 inches, 6/1008x6=.029, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me :)