Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 SS frame for 9mm open steel?

msg73

I live in NJ and have a 15rd max capacity. No hi-cap 15round mags available and the 126mm are either 10rds or 17rds. As I wanted to try an open setup, I'm stuck with 10 rounds. So, I was thinking of open steel where the 10 rounders would be fine for static and knockdown. If I go with 10 rounders, there's no capacity benefit to getting an STI 2011 hi-cap frame. So, my question is would I be able to take my current 1911 9mm or 40S&W single stack frame, put an open top end and drill/tap for optic mount? I'm worried that the frame is a bit thin for the optic mount. Thoughts?

I live in NJ and have a 15rd max capacity. No hi-cap 15round mags available and the 126mm are either 10rds or 17rds. As I wanted to try an open setup, I'm stuck with 10 rounds. So, I was thinking of open steel where the 10 rounders would be fine for static and knockdown. If I go with 10 rounders, there's no capacity benefit to getting an STI 2011 hi-cap frame. So, my question is would I be able to take my current 1911 9mm or 40S&W single stack frame, put an open top end and drill/tap for optic mount? I'm worried that the frame is a bit thin for the optic mount. Thoughts?

That's what I am doing with my springfield. I bought an open top end here and after Walls of Steel in RI in August, I will turn over the Springfield to the Gunsmith that will do the fitting. I will then have stock auto and open auto with same frame. Optic will be a Docter I picked up from a friend

I had the same thought as you (canada) and have a SS framed open gun built when open guns were still SS at the post office for me, its got a stainless frame and a single sided aimpoint comp mount on it so a single side cmore should be fine

If you're worried about the frame thickness use a 2 sided mount like the cmore serendipity.

I would use something like the Weigand mount, it uses 10 screws vs the Serendipity that uses 6. If you happen to strip out the screw holes, you have enough material to go up to the next size. :)