Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124g HGRN-TP 9mm Luger

Baer45

I bought some of these to try for first time in a Baer 1911 and was disappointed with no grouping. Tried them over 4.2 and 4.4 of TG. Loaded them a little long. I wondered if since they are .356 they might be better in 38 Super then in 9 mm Luger...next step would be to drop down to 4.0 or try different powder... Any ideas greatly appreciated...C

What I ususlly do with FMJRN is start with a given powder charge at 1.170" OAL and reduce in .020" increments until I get the accuracy. You could try 1.170", 1.150" and 1.130" with 4grs of TG to start. Then, try 4.2, and 4.4grs. Sort your brass and try different primers. Bell the case mouth minimally and don't crimp. Just remove the bell. If you overcrimp plated bullets you ruin accuracy. I choose not to crimp at all, relying on case tension to hold the bullet. 9mm's seldom have setback issues.

I've had very good results with Berry's 124gr HBRN over 4.5 to 4.6 of HP-38/231, I load them at 1.165" OAL. Mine are shot out of mostly stock barreled CZ's. My taper crimp is just a kiss.

Edited by Cheesewhiz