Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide lock

bangclang

Hi everyone, I have a ria 1911 that i put a extended slide lock in and during fire it will lock open with out resone.The back story is it did it alot when I let other people shoot it but only once in a while when I shot it. I have used colt,kimber,kimpro tac,and even armscore,mags doesn't seem to matter.any advise would be great.

Are you using a shock buff? A shock buffer will limit slide travel and sometimes causes the slide stop to be in alignment with the notch in the slide when the slide is all the way back. The slide lock can sometimes bounce up into the notch, just enough to lock the slide open. Also, check the back face of the slide lock, where the little pin (I forget what it's called) pushes against the rear face. I had a problem with my Baer recently going into slide lock, seemingly random and more and more often. It turned out that my stainless slide stop had formed a small divit, where the pin pushes on that spot. The divit was slot shaped and was pushing the slide stop up slightly. Not a lot, but just enough that it would sometimes catch the notch in the slide as it came by. Since it was stainless, I touched up the face with my hand file to remove the divit. It worked perfectly after that, so I ordered a replacement from Baer and had it fit. Now the pistol is 100% again. I'm sure there some other possible causes, but these are the two I've personally experienced.

Thanks for the reply. I never looked at the back of the slide stop, but it is new.I dont use a shock buff either.I made sure that I wasn't hitting during recoil.I was maybe thinking that the fit was too lose and vibration eas bouncing it up,have any of you herd of that happening.

Bumping it during recoil will engage the slide stop. AND I have had it engage during recoil just because of the extra mass of more metal will flip that thing up during recoil with major power loads.