Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Live Fire Drill that helped me

I was having an issue, mostly on steel, where I was focusing on the 2nd target of an array everytime. I was already looking forward to transitioning to the next target, that i would completely miss the first one, move the gun half way to the next, and then have to go make it up. In fact, here's a video if you're interested where you can see it happen on multiple occasions.

i stumbled upon a drill that seemed to help me with this problem. I haven't shot a match to see definite gains, yet. But i've seen them in practice. it's so simple i feel stupid putting it into words and taking the time to post this, but it helped me, so maybe it will help someone else.

load mags to the capacity for your division. set 3 8 inch steels about 15 yards out, 5 feet apart. The details probably don't matter. This just happens to be what I had set up for a different drill the day before. draw, shoot left, reload, shoot middle, reload, shoot right, reload. I use 5 mags total, so i went through all 5. i also did other variations like draw, shoot all 3, reload, shoot all 3, etc. I gave this method up for the first one, because it was really my first round that i needed work on.

At first, it made me take extra time to make sure the first shot was a hit. I liked that, because it was still faster than missing. But as the day went on, the speed that i could hit the first plate increased. i've found that if i take just a millisecond longer to make sure i hit the first one, the rest of the array after that is cake at fast (for me) speed.

on another note, this is super easy to do dry-fire. I just seem to have a problem where i'm not honest with myself in dryfire and don't really have a good sight picture when i break the shot. or so i assume, otherwise i wouldn't have the problem i had.