Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quotes

OnlyAlpha1124

"They'll have to shoot me first to take my gun."

-- Roy Rogers,

"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government --and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws."

-- Edward Abbey (1927-1989)

"The National Rifle Association are the gun nuts of the world."

-- Cecil Andrus

"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone."

-- Al Capone (1899-1947),

"Life is a game in which the rules are constantly changing; nothing spoils a game more than those who take it seriously. Adultery? Phooey! You should never subjugate yourself to another nor seek the subjugation of someone else to yourself. If you follow that Crispian principle you will be able to say 'Phooey,' too, instead of reaching for your gun when you fancy yourself betrayed."

-- Quentin Crisp (b. 1908),

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-- Lowell Duckett

"The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun."

-- Richard Buckminster Fuller (1895-1983),

"Instead of a Seeing Eye dog, what about a gun? It's cheaper than a dog, plus if you walk around shooting all the time people are going to get out of the way. Cars, too!"

-- Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts],

"He was a cowboy, mister, and he loved the land. He loved it so much he made a woman out of dirt and married her. But when he kissed her, she disintegrated. Later, at the funeral, when the preacher said, 'Dust to dust,' some people laughed, and the cowboy shot them. At his hanging, he told the others, 'I'll be waiting for you in heaven---with a gun.'"

"I'm not afraid of insects taking over the world, and you know why? It would take about a billion ants just to AIM a gun at me, let alone fire it. And you know what I'm doing while they're aiming it at me? I just sort of slip off to the side, and then suddenly run up and kick the gun out of their hands."

"Carl would have to be fast to beat the stranger. Real fast. 'Draw,' said the stranger. Carl went for his gun, but then 'Hey, where did all these angels come from?'"

"To make inexpensive guns impossible to get is to say that you're putting a money test on getting a gun. It's racism in its worst form."

-- Roy Innis

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

-- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-- James Earl Jones,

"Banning gun shows to reduce violent crime will work about as well as banning auto shows to reduce drunken driving."

-- Bill McIntire

"When they took the 4th Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs. When they took the 6th Amendment, I was quiet because I am innocent. When they took the 2nd Amendment, I was quiet because I don't own a gun. Now they have taken the 1st Amendment, and I can only be quiet."

-- Lyle Myhur

"It is a commonplace that the history of civilisation is largely the history of weapons. In particular, the connection between the discovery of gunpowder and the overthrow of feudalism by the bourgeoisie has been pointed out over and over again. And though I have no doubt exceptions can be brought forward, I think the following rule would be found to be generally true: that ages in which the dominant weapon is expensive or difficult to make will be ages of despotism, whereas when the dominant weapon is cheap and simple, the common people have a chance. Thus, for example, tanks, battleships and bombing planes are inherently tyrannical weapons, while rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon --so long as there is no answer to it-- gives claws to the weak."

-- George Orwell (1903-50),

"As long as there are guns, the individual that wants a gun for a crime is going to have one and going to get it. The only person who's going to be penalized and have difficulty is the law-abiding citizen, who then cannot have [it] if he wants protection-the protection of a weapon in his home, for home protection."

-- Ronald Wilson Reagan (b. 1911),

"I favor the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and it must be enforced at gunpoint if necessary."

-- Ronald Wilson Reagan (b. 1911),

"I support the Gun Control Act of 1998, and if it must be enforced at gunpoint . . so be it."

-- Unknown