Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Diameter of large pistol primers?

Canuck223

I happen to have all 3 brands of LPPs on the bench at the moment, and a high precision bench micrometer. I sampled 5 of each brand, and was amazed by the uniformity within brands.

Every CCI primer miked to .2103, Federals were uniform at .2105 +/- 0.0002, and Winchesters at .2089 +/- 0.0003

So, my lot of Winchester LPPs is ever so sligthly smaller than the other brands. I didn't see any difference in seating effort.

I think the diameter difference is moot.

LT

I was asking because my Dillon primer tube filler seems to hate Federals. They tip over and jam rather than stack. I was wondering if a wider primer might avoid this.

As they seem to be the largest already......

I was asking because my Dillon primer tube filler seems to hate Federals. They tip over and jam rather than stack. I was wondering if a wider primer might avoid this.

As they seem to be the largest already......

Make sure the plastic tips are pushed ALL the way on (I put the tip on the edge of a table, then push the whole rod. All mine were a bit loose from the factory). Also, don't tip the tube back and forth, I just fill, then flip and set upright. I've found with both large and small primers flipping the tube back and forth can cause primers to go upside down, but only near the tips.

Edited by kalaur