Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

magazines

Giant81

In the rule book under production 21.7 says I can pretty much use any mag I want as long as it fits in the box, but 22.3 says I cannot have any external plugs that alter the grip profile or extend past the bottom of the grip. If I'm running a G26 with G19 magazines and I am using the bottom part of the magazine as a pinky wrest to extend the bottom of the grip is that prohibited? Or since this is not a plug applied to the grip, rather a function of the magazine it is legal.

I want to make sure if I start shooting production a stock G26 shooting G19 mags with possibly big dots later will qualify.

As that is the configuration I use on my back up gun, I am very interested in this as well. I never even thought of that before. My BUG is a Subcompact Springfield XD. It came with a 13rd mag for carry and two 16 rd mags with grip extension sleeves on them. I stopped using the sleeves as I could not change mags very easily when using it.

I would want to think that it is legal, but am not 100% sure.

I think this is the NROI Ruling you are looking for:

Question:

Can I use any after market magazine in my gun for Production? Also, may I grind off part of the base pad on my S&W M&P?

Answer:

After market magazines are allowed in Production, as long as they are dimensionally the same as the original magazine for that model gun? In other words, you may not use a Glock 33 round mag in an approved Glock gun, regardless of only loading 10 rounds in it. Grinding on the magazine base pad, would be an external modification and not allowed, the magazine when inserted, is a functioning part of the gun and the base pad is external.

I found the 2009 modifications to the production appendix (dated after the NROI ruling you specify) says that prior restrictions had been lifted and any mag will work as long as it fits in the box.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2009_Production_Rules_Revisions.pdf

"Prior restrictions on magazines have been lifted.

OEM and aftermarket magazines and base-pads may

be used. However, any and all magazines used in

competition, must fit into the USPSA box while

empty and inserted in the handgun as described in

item 7 of this appendix. Grip tape and/or skate board

tape are specifically allowed on magazines and basepads."

Since the 2009 appendix edit is post NROI ruling does that negate the ruling?