Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Im sick of crappy cleaning equipment

SERVED_USMC

So this is a place that there are a couple schools of thought. I depart from most of the popular thoughts. It really depends on barrel material and your experience maintaining. Are you a guy that spends quality time cleaning, or just wants to get it done? Either way in my time I have seen way more barrels damaged from lackluster cleaning tools, rushing and ignorance than anything else. If your the take your time type you can get quality coated one piece rods for barrel cleaning. One of the reasons they issue (general issue) the otis cleaning setup is because it is field expedient and doesn't screw up the barrels like the old school multi piece cleaning rods. You should also get a bore guide for your rifle. The idea is the guide not only prevents chamber and throat damage but supports the cleaning rod so it has minimal contact with the rifle lands. Also keep in mind chemicals like sweets 7.62 are amazing at removing copper fouling. But there is also smaller margin for error with mixing of cleaning products and etching of Stainless Steel barrels. The products I would suggest.

M pro 7 cleaning solvent (spray) (gentile on hands, environment but great carbon removal properties)

M pro 7 bore gel *same as above but soaks in better with less run*

Sweets 7.62 copper fouling remover (The best, but make sure you dry patch the shit out of it, then use krol oil... don't leave the bore dry)

Kroil oil

Montana extreme cleaning rods / jags

Dewy coated cleaning rods

for quick carbon fouling removal the bore snakes are really good and are less proned to screwing up your barrel.