Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

designing awesome secret gun room, need help!

Alright, so looking at the posted pics of the sweet online gun rooms and walls have me inspired. I need some help on how to set it up though.

Currently, I have a nice room where my safe is and work area is all set up. What I want to do is mount more of my tools and supplies on the wall. I'm thinking about using peg board and hooks for that, to match my other tool set up.

The tricky thing is I want to make a fake entrance to it. Hide it in plain sight, so to speak. Here are the details, tell me what you think.

It's a rental apartment. I don't want to do too too much in the way of tearing stuff up. I have a cheap little hollow core door as an entrance. What I'm thinking is replacing that with a fake book case on hinges, so the whole thing slides into the wall.

That, or change the door so it opens out into the hallway (instead of into the room) and make a fake backing on a second set of hinges. Make it like a big but shallow storage closet.

Has anybody done a set up like this? what do you think would be the best solution to this? I don't need something super secure, since I have that on the exterior of the house, have a safe, and there are no kids present ever. Or unsupervised adults :cheers:

I don't want to spend a fortune. I have time and some basic wood working skills. Let me know!

Probably the simplest and least expensive would be to follow your idea of making it appear to be a small closet. If its near the kitchen, make it into a pantry. If its near bedrooms, use it as storage for towels and sheets.

Assuming you have the room, build a "book case" a little wider than the doorway and at least a foot taller than the doorway. Hinge it to the wall on one side and put rollers on the bookcase to allow it to move when it carries some weight.

To lock it in place, consider a solenoid switch or electric locking system.

Since you rent, cleanup should be fairly simple.

Bill