Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Bushing for Hood Fitting

R. Batt

I hope this isn't a stupid question and that it hasn't been beat to death here. I tried a search and was unable to come up with anything.

I'm getting ready to fit my first barrel and after reading the Kuhnhausen (sp) manuals and on the Internet, I have a question.

I've read that when fitting the barrel hood to the slide an old bushing should be used to hold the front of the barrel in place. Is there any reason to use an old, loose bushing over the bushing I'm going to use in the completed gun? Does the bushing get damaged during the fitting process? Is the play in the bushing needed in order to properly fit the hood to the slide? Does the barrel need to be fit to the slide before the bushing is fit? I'm planning on ordering an angle fit bushing from EGW and don't plan on having to do a whole lot of work to get it fit.

Thanks.

EGW has a great bushing. Using a loose bushing ensures the barrel will cam up into lock up. If the bushing is too tight on the barrel, the barrel will act like a leaf spring (bend) when it goes into lock up. This is more important when cutting the lower lugs. I use a loose'ish bushing and a barrel holding block to rough in the hood, then use assemble it to the frame to cut the final dimensions.

Bushing fit does erode over time (number of disassembly times). Using a loose one makes it easier to work on since you'll have to take in and out several times.