Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Criterion 18.5 or LW 50 for HM Class

bthp

I thought I would try HM Class this year. The two barrels that have caught my eye are the Lothar Walther LW 50 barrels (20 inch, can be profiled to desired weight), which features a 1x11 twist, or the Fulton Armory/Criterion lightweight (18.5 inch, 2.4 pounds), chrome lined, 1x10 twist. I plan to use bullets in the 147 grain to 155 grain weight. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any other suggestions regarding barrel length, rifle twist would be welcomed as well.

I thought I would try HM Class this year. The two barrels that have caught my eye are the Lothar Walther LW 50 barrels (20 inch, can be profiled to desired weight), which features a 1x11 twist, or the Fulton Armory/Criterion lightweight (18.5 inch, 2.4 pounds), chrome lined, 1x10 twist. I plan to use bullets in the 147 grain to 155 grain weight. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any other suggestions regarding barrel length, rifle twist would be welcomed as well.

I have shot a JP 18" for several years. The only drawback i have noticed is the velocity loss with the shorter barrel. it is very accurate. This year i am shooting a JP 22" that has been turned down. I wanted the extra velocity. My standard load for the 18" averaged about 2650, with the 22" i am getting an average of 2820.

Edited by 1chota

if you're of mind to, and if you're reloading, you might try playing around with lighter bullets. lotta guys are running the 135smk. i'm doing 3180fps out of my 20" with hornady vmax 110g and 49g of 748 (can you say flat?), and IIRC from a discussion with John Paul he's using the same 110vmax and getting high 2900's out of an 18", but with a different powder, I wanna say 335?