Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom GAP brass die reach extractor bevel

jcmios

Started to notice too many smilies on my 45GAP brass after being loaded to near max so I customized some Lyman dies and shell holder to size the brass just above the rim. I had extra carbide 45ACP dies from Lyman, Lee and Dillon. Close inspection showed that the Lyman carbide ring had the least bevel angle or the sharpest shoulder, so I placed the die in my lathe and cut down the die body to the carbide ring. I then took an extra shell holder and cut it down to leave just enough lip to with stand the force needed to extract the sized brass, aprox 0.075”. The shell holder is square with the brittle carbide sizing ring and adjusted it so it just barely makes contact with a cartridge pressing upward on the die and ram. I can now size the brass below the extractor bevel. Note if you end up pulling the carbide sizer ring out you can reattach it with Loctight automotive sleeve retaining compound, this will never let loose.

You could go to a local machine shop and have this done for $20.00 or so. It requires very little setup and is easy to do. I found the Lyman die to work best but RCBS or others may be about the same, obviously Dillon is the worst.

Jim

P.S.: Placed here as this is mostly a Glock issue. Moderator move as you see fit.