Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gestapo Cops Who Don't Know The Laws

BamBams

This happened to me 2 weeks ago!

It was sunny day and I'm on my way to work at the gun shop in Colorado Springs in a borrowed Volvo since my pick-up is getting an engine replaced.

I approach a construction zone where the speed drops, abruptly, from 55 to 35mph. I'm trying to slow down, but the Volvo's brake rotors are glazed over and squealing like a Banshee.

The next thing I know, the Colorado State Trooper is right on my butt and waiting for a safe place to pull me over. Here come the flashing lights.

Well, the first thing he wants to know is why I'm not wearing my seatbelt. I HATE seatbeats, but I don't answer his question since I don't have to.

Now he asks for my license, registration, and proof of insurance. He notices the stainless Kimber on my belt and freaks out.

"Why do you have a gun?" I decided he needed to be calmed down, even though I am not required to answer that question either.

I say, "Two reasons: I work in a gun shop and it's for personal protection."

Then he asks me, "Is it REGISTERED in your name?" I reply with, "Colorado does not require firearms registration."

He then asks, "Oh well, but are you the OWNER this gun?" I say "Yes."

He then asks, "Do you have a PERMIT for this gun?" I reply, "Yes I sure do."

Colorado does NOT require a permit for open carry of a firearm, NOR does it require a permit for having a loaded firearm in one's vehicle.

He then asks me to slowly exit the vehicle, keeping my hands away from the gun, and to place my hands on the hood of the car."

At this point, he removes the Kimber from my holster and takes it over to the patrol car where he proceeds to remove a cartridge from the chamber and remove the magazine.

He then leaves my Kimber in his car, and returns to me. "Please give me your license and your concealed carry permit. I comply. Then he asks me to get back inside my vehicle.

25 minutes later he returns with my paperwork and my magazine. He asks me to place the magazine in my glove box "for now."

He apologizes that I had to wait so long, and tells me the reason was that my CWP is not in the computer, so my Sheriff's office had to be contacted to confirm the validity of my permit.

He then has the nerve to say, "I advise you to contact your Sheriff as soon as possible and request that your permit information be entered into the DATABASE because you just made a police officer VERY nervous."

I didn't tell him that my Sheriff's office does not maintain a networked database of permit holders and refuses to do so.

Then he hands me my ticket and says, "Since you didn't try to lie about wearing your seatbelt, I'm going to forego the speeding ticket and just issue you one for not wearing a seatbelt."

Well heck, I am not quite so sure I was speeding anyway! The last thing I remember was being totally aware of the need to slow down as rapidly as possible.

Anyway folks.....I just needed to vent. This whole thing really pissed me off.

I feel for ya. I have been dreading the first time that I get pulled over in Texas with an Arizona CCW. I know that I will probably get taken to jail or detained for a long time eventhough there is statutory reciprocity with AZ. I have asked like 10 different cops if they knew of any reciprocity and not a single one knew about it. Most said that they would just take me in and let the desk figure the reciprocity thing out. Kind of sad.