Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Tao of Matt

Red5_Standing_By

Ok. So I haven't found 'the way'. But after searching the deep, dark, gloomy woods I've found the beginning of the path. For two years I've tried to shoot 400/420 on the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center Qual. I shot between 360's and 390's. Finally LISTENED to my instructors and devoted time to dry-fire. I was looking to break it down and practice fundamentals in their components. I decided to take the target and support hand out of the equation and dry-fired strong hand only at a white piece of paper.

Results:

First course of fire was 247/250 on a B27. I thew three 9's kneeling from the ten yard line. It was a cold qual.

Second course of fire I shot a 400/420 on a B27. I threw a 7 and an 8 kneeling at the 15 yd line but my hits from the 25 were decent.

I reached my marksmanship goal but was happier with my times than with my scores. I didn't game the qual or make the most of the time available. I put the front sight center mass and pressed the trigger when I was ready. Even at the 25 yd line. And I always felt confident and ready.

Conclusion: Dry-fire is an invaluable tool. Kneeling is supposed to be a more stable platform but I'm struggling with it.

Ideas: dry-fire from the kneeling position every night. Try different approaches until one feels comfortable.

26Nov11 - Went to the Clark County PSTC Range and shot 100 rounds. I worked on calling the shot but was only successful about 3 out of 10 times. My focus drifted back and forth between rear sites, front site, and target. Turning the target around and shooting at a blank piece of paper definitely helped. I need to work on my follow through. Dry firing is continuing to pay off BIG time. At 25 yards I had 19/20 rounds in the A zone.

I will continue to dry fire every day. At my next range I will bring a small target on notebook paper. After every shot fired I will mark the smaller target where I think my shot hit. I will then compare the actual target against that one.