Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Ambi Thumb Safety

Duane Thomas

I am having built up - actually have had built up - a rifle for a woman who fires from the left shoulder. At first I thought to get her a JP ambi thumb safety, and then found what everyone else has known for years I'm sure - the shooting hand interferes with the offside lever rotating down into Fire. No problem, I just kept the lefty thumb safety in place and pulled of the other lever. The problem - and admittedly this is aesthetic rather than functional - is that now the retaining screw on the side of the receiver opposite the lever does not fit flush, it extends up above the receiver a bit. Again, the part works fine, this just looks bad.

The part went straight from Brownells to the riflesmith, then the rifle came to me without any of the original packaging. Was their supposed to be a second, shorter screw included with this unit in case you wanted to run it as a single-side thumb safety? If not, would simply shortening the barrel of the existing screw work? Is there a particular screw that I might get at a screw store that would work instead?