Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Change

mike booth

I'm switching the factory sight blades on my S&W to night sights. I understand I have to break the screw to get it out because the nut is pinned. Does that mean the nut with the broken screw end will remain? How do I get the nut out? How do I replace the screw and nut? Do I have to replace the nut? Do I need a special tool? I kind of have to do this myself on my days off. I need the gun for work, turn around time is too long for a smith.

Hi Mike.

There is a "kit" with a new screw and nut that replaces the factory screw. When you unscrew the screw until it snaps the nut falls out (if not, make it fall) and you can replace the sight blade and fit the new screw.

I've once successfully removed the original nut without breaking the screw, I filed a slot in the tip of a screwdriver to make it look like a two spiked fork to remove the nut. Before that I drilled away a bit of the screw end that has been "mushroomed" to lock the nut and I used LocTite to secure the nut when reinstalled. Emergency is the mother of all inventions....

It's nothing that I recommend though, get a new screw and nut.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you say "learning curve"? LOL. I made the swap and learned what a plunger spring and plunger are, after Brownell's helped me with names, part numbers and a schematic. I should sight in Friday. If I like this gun, I might add a second one to my kit. Thanks for the help.