Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnets for IPSC

MQW

FYI,

For all those shooters that are or are planning to shoot both USPSA & IPSC matches, where sometimes, and more often lately than before, we have to pick up all of our mags from a table, from inside a bag, etc. and load one, then secure the others, I have found a solid alternate to the belt or mag pouch mounted magnets seen with the various shooting supply vendors (really there is only one I know of being sold by lots of companies); instead of paying high dollar for one magnet plus shipping, after much research I found this company that makes the correct strength and size for our sport; it is- EMOVENDO Magnets & Elements, webpage is : www.emovendo.net; the product SKU is: HK80SH, 80 pound Hooks - Slim Hook, you get 4 of these magnets with detachable hooks that screw in for a total of 19.99 plus shipping, that's 4 magnets for less than one magnet from the aforementioned companies.

What I had to do to properly mount it, was go to the local Ace Hardware and pick up a couple small round-top hex head screws with the right thread size & a small metal washer, that fit the magnet's threaded tube, then I personally wanted a little support for the threaded tube & magnet, so I got a thick nylon spacer that was the same length as the threaded tube (the outer dia. of this tube is 9/32", I could only find one very thin nylon washer in that size), so I had to ream out the inside of the spacer a very small amount to get the spacer to fit over the tube; once that was done, it was very easy to drill a small hole where I intended to mount my magnet on my plastic mag pouch (personally I use the Universal Shooting Academy mag pouches although I don't think they are available anymore but I know this will work with any of the plastic mag pouches); next I screwed the hex head screw thru the plastic (I drilled the hole small so the screw would thread its way thru the plastic), as the hex head started to come thru the plastic on the outside of the mag pouch, I started to thread it into the tube of the magnet, once this was snug, I turned it down very tight by turning both the magnet and turning the hex head, this gave it a very tight fit and it doesn't slip when I mount a full magazine; I have used this with fully loaded .40 Cal. 140mm STI and SV magazines with no issues, this magnet holds them firm; so now we have an alternate solution instead having to buy one type for a high price. I will provide a picture of the finished product in later post.

Hope this helps somebody, it took me longer to find the right magnet and parts then it did to put them all together for a finished magnet mounted on the side of my mag pouch.

Regards,

Mark

A picture of what your doing would be great, what I am just now putting together is a arredondo belt keeper $5 and a round magnet from the harware store. The belt keeper has a double belt groove, I drilled out the face and installed the magnet with a 1/4 x 20 bolt, next I will slide the keeper on in between my mag pouches so I could put a few on my belt if I wanted to.

Vinton-20110908-004962.jpg

This is what i did, and I made 2 of them, installed them between my mag pouches and practiced settin 3 mags verticle on a table start, lean forward let both mags hit the magnets while slamming my gun down on the third and not touching any of them and start in about half a second with 3 mags. Now I need a waist high table start in a match.

Edited by rupie