Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stainless Steel Balls and pins for tumbling media

Jimini

I took note of a technique for cleaning brass in a tumbler using Stainless pins and balls of various shapes and sizes. This technique thoroughly cleaned the brass inside and out removing even the most stubborn carbon in the primer hole. (Primer had to be removed of course.) I would like to know if anyone is currently using this system and/or has anyone attempted to use the Stainless media in a vibratory cleaner.

Look a few lines below this post and you will see how one Forum user "built his own tumbler". Its a WET tumbler, not a vibrator tumbler, and it works exceptionally well. I know, I built one myself. Elimitates dust and in the summer months at least, drying isn't a problem. I use only 5# of SS Media to 2 gal. of water, a little dish soap and LemiShine and hears what you get:

223cases1.jpg

Edited by glynnm45

Look a few lines below this post and you will see how one Forum user "built his own tumbler".

Jim: I did not see that link. Could you re-post it?

Also, Did you use the pins or the balls and if balls, what size media did you use?

I took note of a technique for cleaning brass in a tumbler using Stainless pins and balls of various shapes and sizes. This technique thoroughly cleaned the brass inside and out removing even the most stubborn carbon in the primer hole. (Primer had to be removed of course.) I would like to know if anyone is currently using this system and/or has anyone attempted to use the Stainless media in a vibratory cleaner.

here is my thread on the home built wet tumbler i made. the results are amazing i don't dry tumble anymore. my home built tumbler thread

I was interested in this very thing today. Has anybody tried any hard media in a vibratory tumbler? I was thinking ceramic beads or glass beads since I have some. Is this a bad idea? Only thing I can think of is the small glass getting in the flash hole, similar situation with small walnut though.