Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to bead blast S&W k frame

Suicycle

Are there any major obstacles to blasting a revolver? I figure I can plug the bore with foam ear plugs and protect the crown the same way. The cylinder I could do the same with and remove the rear sight since it is blued. I can be careful about the direction I spray around the hammer, but I guess I will have to take the side plate off and clean everything out. Would I need yo remove the cylinder, never done that before and just want to avoid it if possible and clean up the appearance.

First if your not comfortable dissasembling the pistol I think this is a project that I would avoid.

The only way to clean everything out is going to be to compleatly dissasemble it and clean each peice then re-assemble, so you would be better off dissasembling it first so no abrasive is in the action to scratch things up on dissasembly.

Good Luck

Mike

I agree and suggest a complete detail strip, replace the side plate so the edges stay sharp. Cylinder must be removed. I remove the cylinder nearly every time I clean to avoid damage, and better access. Glass bead WILL get inside and make disassemble more difficult later.

LOG

I was afraid of that. I guess I need to learn how to work on it. I can always take it to my local smith in a ziplock bag full of parts and springs. Wouldn't be the first he had seen he had to assemble and add parts from brownells to make work again.

Whatever you do, please don't pry the sideplate off.

Take the screws out and give the side of the grip frame a sharp wack with the handle of a screwdriver or a block of wood. The inertia of the sideplate will make it pop right off and you won't bend it or booger it up.

This guy shows how to do it at around 7:30