Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stippled AFG

Gatekeeper

From the AFG thread, I didn't want to derail that thread with my crappy pics :P

I just got mine and so far, I like it. I will run it in a match next month so I will know then if I really like it.

Gatekeeper, got any pics or advice for stippling it? Thanks

I bought one of those electric wood-burning tools at Sears with the interchangeable tips, and followed some of the many tutorials I found on the net.

0621111922.jpg

Just pick out a tip and let the tool heat up. Try out different tips on some scrap plastic(I used the feedlip covers that come on P-mags) to see what each shape tip does. Press the hot tip briefly into the plastic, you should see the plastic melt and "roll" up the wood-burning tip. Vary the length and depth of the holes to find the amount of texture you like. I found I liked the texture a rounded tip about 1/8" across left. If you want it a little more aggressive you can lift the tip out of the depression at a slight angle dragging the edge of the crater.

Once I was kinda getting a feel for what I wanted, I started stippling the panels of p-mags themselves. it's really hard to screw up, but if you do you can re-stipple the same area again and fix it. If you really screw up and burn through the mag, well then you're only out about $12 or so.

I stippled a border around the finger groves, then proceeded to fill in the area by placing adjacent craters until the area was filled.

0621111917.jpg

0621111920.jpg

I like the feel of it so much I stippled all my P-mags :ph34r:

The P-mags are great practice, because they are the same type of plastic as the rest of the magpul furniture.

Cont'd...

Once you get a good feel for what texture you like working on the p-mags, just use the same technique on the furniture you want to stipple.

Pick out what you want textured, and what you don't-- like where your finger/thumb moves to work the safety, or where the sensitive web of your hand rides up on the grip, etc.

0621111841a.jpg Draw out a border with a black sharpie if you like then stipple the border the same way as you did the panels on the p-mags. Then fill in the bordered area. If its not agressive enough just drag the edge of the crater or co a little deeper. If its too aggressive, you can knock the edges down a little with some sandpaper....or grow some callouses :roflol:

0621111842.jpg

Cont'd

Edited by Gatekeeper

Did the AFG the same way as the p-mags/grip

0621111839.jpg

You will probably notice where the molded grooves are in the AFG you need to hold the iron a little longer to displace the right amount of material. And go a little light where the center seam is so not to "weld" the two halves of the AFG together

0621111841.jpg

Well that's about the best I can do. I'm obviously no writer and if I could ever stop buying components or guns maybe i could buy a decent camera. :goof: Sorry for the bad pics

0621111837.jpg

Anyway, I hope this helped.