Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The journey of MrUnnatural

Mr Unnatural

I have the desire to be the best I can in IPSC shooting. To accomplish this I will train all necessary elements that are involved in reaching my goal. The outcome of the journey will be that I’m the best shooter I can be. The result might be winning matches and stuff.

My shooting background is long but not meaningful in the sense that I’ve not been able to practice or compete a lot. My first IPSC experience was picking brass at the age of 6 or 7 at the first IPSC matches in the Netherlands.

As a youngster I went shooting with my father in the holidays (boar(d)ing school), I was taught by my father and the other shooters at the club. There I learned some basic IPSC stuff and worked the fundamentals. At the time I got the desire to compete my father and the others had all stopped competing for years. The only active shooters I knew back than were some national champions. This gave me the impression that the only way to be competitive was his training regiment, something I could not afford.

At the age of 18 I got a Norinco 1911 in 45 for my birthday. With some gunsmithing it ran ok. I competed in some PPC style matches and did some casual IPSC training at my fathers club.

When I went to university my shooting practice suffered and I stopped completely. After a pause I picked it up in 2010 and in 2011 I got a permit again. In 2010 I only shot .22 bulls eye type shooting.

I’ve been studying every book and video I could put me hand on. So much info it confused me were to start and I get side tracked easily.

Deliberate practice is really hard for me. I have adhd and I’m really good at procrastinating things even the things I enjoy.

Were I stand now.

I’ve shot 6 matches, 5 level 2 and one level 3 match.

More to come…results..

I shoot between 92 and 97% of the maximum available points. Best result was 70% percent on a level 2 match.

I’ve been struggling to get my gun to work reliable, during the matches I’ve had several malfunctions mainly FTE, this has cost me a lot of time and as a result low hitfactors and little stagepoints. I’ve put an Aftec and a new ejector in it, this seems to have solved the problem.

Things I want to work on this year is building better fundamentals to get a solid foundation for future improvement. I rather take my time then to be sloppy and build bad habits. I believe speed is a byproduct of good execution of proper technique. Therefore I’m focusing on doing things sooner.

Bad habits, repearing C hits to get max points. It doesn’t improve my hitfactor so I will only repair D hits.

Goal for tonight is:

Stance and movement:

Putting my knees in the direction of my feet, I have the habit of bending my knees to the inside (old wing chun habit). To get a more explosive movement.

Bending my knees more to keep from bouncing.

Walking with my feet a bit more wide to keep my balance.

Being aware of muscle tension, grip-pressure build up during final extension of the gun.

Seeing

Putting a translucent tape on my non-dominant eye.

Keeping both eyes open, (works during practice not during a match)

Seeing the target spot and seeing the front sight.

Calling my shots.

Sooner

Leaving positions sooner after the last shot

Keeping the gun high ready all the time

Raise my weakhand sooner to meet with my strong hand during the draw.

Releasing the weakhand sooner during a reload to get the next mag.

Take notes and video and evaluate. Report to my rangelog.

Reporting on my training

as always I could have done better by sticking with my plan. I forgot to write the notes in my training diary and I could not remember all the things I wanted to be aware off or focus on.

I video my training sesion and review them afterwards and make overlays from myself and buddies.

What I did well is putting my knees a bit more outward, my start got a lot more explosiveve, I arrived 3/10 a second sooner at the shooting position.

Bending the knees did improve some, but I still tend to rise once I arrive at the next position. (I did not tell myself to stop doing it)

Being wideI forgot, still walking like a "sissy".

I did put the translucent tape on my shooting glasses. I put a piece 10mm tape at 32 mm from the center of the tape and glasses, by this it takes away the double sight image and I can still see the rest normal. Only had to close my eye when writing down scores.

I think it still have to adjust to it in the next weeks. I still closed my eye on some parts of a training stage.

Shot calling and seeing was as always. It was a bit better when I finished with some bill drills.

the sooner part happened, only the high and ready still needs to be improved. I do not keep it in the Face Box.

I reviewed some of the video I made. For this purpose I make an overlay of two videos, I compared my performance against a buddy who shoots open.

I arive first at the first position I have a lead of one full step. He's still faster at the first shot. I needed 2,97 and he needed 2,90. I seem to loose it on entering the position and bringing up the gun and shooting an A.

One of the things I can do in the future is keep the gun higher.

while remembering the performance I focussed on balance, tension and tempo. This concept is from the golf world. These 3 have a close relationship with each other. When arriving at the first position I need time to find my balance. I may be making a to hard stop by using to much tension to slow down abrupt. The more I think of it I feel like I use to much muscle tension during a stage which slows me down. My movement is not fluent either.

I'll try to ad this to my visualisation of a stage, feeling/sensing the correct balance, tension and speed.

On the other hand I've got to stop trying to pay "attention" or being aware of to many things during the training. I can only do this when I'm alone on a range.

Edited by Copland

Last tuesday training was mixed lesson.

I had a stressful day at work, and could not let it go during the training. This was the second time in 18 months, the first was after a big argument with my wife.

As a result it was no perfect practice, so I'm thinking to not go shooting next time, to prevent bad habit building.

There was one good lesson learned, I fell during a movement between positions, our concrete floor is 'slippery' at some places and with the set-up of a training stage we did't pay attention to it. I had my finger outside the trigger gard and could manage to point the gun to back-stop. I fell on my thigh/butt and was still trying to figure out what I was doning on the floor when my buddy who was RO'ing me shouted: Come on get up and continu.

To bad my video camera battery died on me 5 minutes before.

I'm glad nothing happend and my instinctive reaction is ok. I got a bit more carefull and getting my mind into the shooting was not possible anymore. As a result my movements where uncontrolled and far from economical and I dropped a lot of points. Soemthing I'm not used to.

I'm glad it happened the first time at a training and not during a match, it would not only screw up one stage but possibly the whole match.

For technique training, I did some table draws with my .22 conversion. The sights have a different set-up this slowed me down when acquiring the target. With a loaded gun my drwas where between 1,55 and 1,70 at a classic target at 12m.

I learned more about myself then about the shooting, wich in the end is a satisfying outcome of the training.

Unnatural Match Resulst

The results of my first matches are:

Level 2, 44,40 %

level 2, 51,65 %

level 2, DQ

level 2, 70,22 %

level 3, 42,77 % (53%)

level 2, 65,20 %

My first match was an overwhelming experience, lots of misses and penalties. Second match and there after I shot between 92 and 97% of the available points. My level 3 score could have been better. My mags didn’t fit the box so I was bumped to open. In standard I would have made 53%, this was with a zero stage with max 150 match points. I normally do long courses well. If I would compensate for the zero stage I would have been well in 60%. During the matches I had to deal with a lot of malfunctions. This I have finally solved, so no more excuses.

During the first 4 matches I was so focused on shooting max points I started making up C-hits and yes I shoot major. It didn’t help my hitfactor a bit because I’m not a fast shooter. On the match I got 70,22% I had only 3 malfunctions costing me over 15s.

The main thing was getting my gun reliable to shoot A’s sooner.

I’m mostly pleased with my performance as a shooter a little less with my gun and the results of the matches. On the other hand there’s plenty room for improvement so no need to be pitiful.

This year I plan to shoot six more level 2 matches and two level 3 matches. The level 3 matches will give me a better reference where I stand as a competitor.

Next I’ll post about my gear and set-up.

An Unnatural gun set-up

My current set-up:

Nowlin Avenger in 40 S&W, build on a STI frame.

I run 14lb spring, a SVI Tungsten guide rod, SVI Ejector and Aftec Extractor.

My mags are SVI with +2 pads and SVI (alu) followers. The can hold between 17-18 reloadable and 19 for start (19+1).

When I got it the front sight had a fibre optic. I first thoughts where that this was what I needed, but I does not work for me. I tend to squeeze the trigger without having a proper sight picture. I’ve put a broom bristle in it and I prefer it this way.

I’ve got a .22 conversion for it form STI. It needed two times a trip to the gunsmith before it functioned ok. I needed an adjusted magazine button to properly seat a magazine and another barrel. My ejector needed some work as well.

I’m looking forward to the new metal mags and I’m trying to make an adapter like the one from marvel for GSG magazine.

My competition belt is from DAA, holster, belt and mag pouches. I’m currently testing some different mag pouch set ups. I previously had put them to close, as a result I could grab them properly all the time. This was even worse when I put the magnet on the first pouch. It blocks my index finger when grabbing the mag. In the next few weeks I’ll try to make a new metal piece fit the magnetic pouch on the first pouch. My third pouch is now on my back, already slowed me down when having a seated start. Trade of trade of what to do?

I’m open for suggestions.

I’ve got special shooting glasses from Mueller Manching, they are great for IPSC, highly recommended. See pictures.I've got -5,5 in mu regular glasses. When corrected I have 150% vision. I'm really sensitive for correct glasses.

On my shopping list are INOV-8 shoes for indoor use and for outdoor use.

post-11063-0-38602900-1308939350_thumb.j

hi

the last days I've been able to get of my butt and comit to dryfire praxis. One of the things I've been training is movement. To praxis this I've put some reduced targets in the bedrooms. While standing in the corridor I practised my movement whil targeting the targets inside the bedrooms. I got the idea from Dave Re he has an excellent youtube movie on it. So far I've been practising on executing the different movement options (sidestepping vs cross stepping) correct and trying to get a feel for it. With getting a feel for it I mean feeling my balance to figure out when I can start the next movement sooner.

For example when I'm crosstepping left to engage a target in the next room, how soon can after I have put the first foot on the ground and still moving the second one.

This evening I will tape myself and record my thoughts on the different options. I'll be reviewing them later next week.

When I'm confident (or when it doesn't feel unnatural anymore) about the movement I'll mix in some mag changes. The corridor is a bit narrow, I find this limeting and on the other hand it forces me to be precise and execute my movement deliberatly.

Thank you Steve for the input and the little "mindbomb" you included.

My first thought was, but I already do that.

Five minutes later, my defensive mind was off and I got the opportunity to take a fresh look at the mindset during matches.

At first I thought I'm trying hard to shoot A's, this is why I repair C shots. Please correct if I'm wrong but this is not what Steve is telling me. I've got to shoot only A's the first shot.

Every shot has to have a purpose either an A-hit or to knock down steel. Next match my only thought will be seeing (not looking) the A zone and squeezing the trigger.

I agree this is hard, if other shooters can do it, so can I. I tend to think to much, especially random thoughts that do not contribute to a better performance. My ADHD is contributing to this a lot. Only when I'm on full or maximum to my ability speed I can stay fully on 1 thought only.

I discovered this during a speed reading course I took some years back. At the start my reading speed was about 230 words a minute. I was easily distracted and had to re-read sentences often. By speeding up my reading to about 1200 words a minute (yes this can be reached with a one day training) my mind had no room to wonder off or be easily distracted. My comprehension of the reading was even better then when reading slow.

I had a similar experience yesterday when I tried to push myself during dryfire, with a par time of 0,8 seconds and squeezing the trigger I was abel to get a better and more consistent sight picture then on the par time of 1,1. I was less sloppy and was able to shift my focus from the target spot to my front sight without effort, it just happened.

Steve is this what you mean by forgetting technique?

While thinking on all this I got this déjà-vu thing, as a result of stacked learning. With new insight older information gets a deeper/new meaning or even makes sense, but only since the new or deeper understanding of shooting IPSC. I experienced this very clearly rereading Brians book after 10 years. I don't think it's counter intuitive but I didn't understand the meaning of it.

Steve

I've got your books and they're a great help giving form and structure to my dryfire routines. Good to see you back on the forum giving valuable advice to fellow shooters.

PS sorry for all the "I's" in my post, this is not like me ;-)

Today at dry-fire practice I pushed myself to the point I got sloppy. I discovered I'm more "in control" then I thought. This was a pleasant surprise, consequently with some other drills I did not put any thought in the skill I previously trained.

I do not know when a certain skill is refined enough so it's no constraint to my shooting performance.

Book tip:

The Goal by Eliyahu M. Goldratt

Or for a short introduction:

http://en.wikipedia...._of_Constraints

I tend to refine certain things as long as I know there is room for improvement. This sometimes causes me to loose the big picture. In shooting this leads in not trusting in my abilities and trying to pay attention to them during the actual shooting.

The last days during dryfire I shot targets that were not visible at the start. I was required to move into another position to be able to acquire the target.

During this training I discovered that I had no visual memory of where the target was, I shot the target instead of the a point in the A-zone. This is were I can save some time.

With implementing these things I got my time down. Looking back on it seems obvious, but hey I'm mr Unnatural.

Tomorrow during live fire I'll work on acquiring targets that are not visible form the start.

Think of it this way...

Are you trying to amass a collection of techniques, or are you trying to be a great shooter?

I saw Rob Leatham shoot "live" right about the time I was working on advanced movement skills... he wasn't doing anything I was working on. It looked to me like he just didn't care about anything except getting to the next target and blowing two holes in it. According to what I was studying, he was doing everything wrong...but they didn't note that on his scorecard. :)

Everybody has their own way to get there.

I wasn't suggesting that you change your training per se, only that you forget about it all during a match. Otherwise, you won't know if you're making any progress, you'll just be practicing while they keep score.

Hi Steve

it is starting to make more sence to me (after rereading the your post several times).

One has to make a distinct difference for match versus training, it's now starting to make sence to me. It will be hard, I will have to train for this. I'll try to figure out how I can improve my mental preperation and training to execute this "mind set" at will. Letting my subconscious determin the outcome of my performance. I'll start with working the the concepts of Lanny B to figure out what my next steps will be to reach this goal.

I do like seeing Rob move thrue a stage his sholders never stop moving. Maybe speed is not standing still. I think it is Rob who said it's not about how fast you get there but how fast you get there rteady to shoot.

Currently on my nightstand

Shooting from within, by Michael Plaxco, finishing last chapter.

A book that was missing in my collection, bought it a few months back to complete my shooting books. Although maybe out of date on some subjects overall a very good book. I was wrong in thinking it was only a "collectible", after reading it I believe it's a valuable addition I can recommend to other shooters.

Next will be one of these two books:

The art of learning by Josh Waitskin (a reading tip by Brian Enos)

Mind Gym by Gary Mack

Edited by Mr Unnatural

Hi Flexmoney

hmmm, yes! This certainly qualifies as a strong positive/affermative statement to define my self image.

Very strong Flexmoney, it gives no room for interpretation I need that.

I have used some statements before, could not stick with it. I used : be smooth and make it happen. Not so strong, make what happen???? To much room for interpretation.

thanks,

Mr Unnatural

Brainfart, during matches I shoot alphas, during practice I shoot alphas sooner. To bad it doesn't work that way, or does it?

This week I could not make to the range. Due to bad weather and heavy traffic I returned home after two aquaplannings and a traffic jam.

Spend the evening with dry-fire and some quality time with my wife.

Edited by Mr Unnatural

Today during training static magazine reloads from the belt. I strugled some what with grabbing the magazines consistent. tried some different angles, this helped only to some degree. Later when I practiced with my weighted mag. with this I had no problem grabing the magazine correct and secure.

I think it is the weight difference that is in play here. I don't have any old magazines to be weighted for this purpose. The anounced DAA practice mags seem a bit pricey to me. Maybe one could use a cheap airsoft mag for training reloads. I'll excercise some seach-Fu or I'll post a question about it.

An other thing that got my attention is the spacing between magazines. I need enough space so I can place my index finger on the mag so I can establish a good grip.

I'm using DAA pouches, browsing the net I discovered the set-up in the picture

Thes puches are placed very close to each other, the magnet is placed on the belt before the first pouch. When I place my magnet on the first pouch I forces me to put the pouch straight up and angle my wrist to get the mag. Not a satisfactory set up for the pouch I primary use during a stage.

I'll keep my current set-up and keep looking for a better set-up.

post-11063-0-73089500-1309447138_thumb.j

I spend the last days with dry-firing and rethinking my approach to improving as a shooter. The posts by Steve and Flexmoney got me into rereading Steve's second book. Principles of performance.

In a previous post I assumed I understood what they we're telling me. Well I did not, at least not to the full depth of there post. This is another lesson in:

Assumption is the mother of all f*$#ups.

And understanding practical shooting is about stacked learning, were a new insight deepens previous knowledge to a better understanding.

I now see recognize things I can and will improve in training and competition.

My approach in improving as a shooter is about deliberate perfect practice.

Deliberate practice in the sense the training has a purpose and has the proper priority on the "things' that need improvement most. Perfect practice that the training is effective and efficient and will make me a better shooter.

Both deliberate and perfect practice are closely related to each other but the deliberate part is mostly preparing and reviewing my performance in training and competition. Perfect practice is more about the execution of the shooting performance regardless if it is in a training or competition environment.

With a better understanding of the way we learn and can control our performance I now see that flaws in my training mindset.

I've made the mistake of trying to think about to many things. Mistake one is the trying part and second thing is assuming I can consciously think about more than one thing at a time. Steve gave me the insight that by designing a drill that 'forces' you to execute a movement a certain way we can keep the mind on the shooting and let the unconscious mind execute the 'new' movement. Don't know if I'm clear on this for everybody.

I've been spending more time feeling or sensing my shooting stance. A few posts back I posted that there is tradeoff between tension, temper and speed. These have to come together to be fluid in my motions and not waste any time. I found a great post frome Dave re in his rangelog dated on: Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:26 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:26 PM

So, three people have asked about the "never shoot flat footed" thing I mentioned on Catfish's thread, so I guess I'll detail it here.... First, I'll set up the situation - if you read in Derrick's thread, you'll see that he mentions standing flat footed and straight up, and then tends to get pushed backwards onto his heels after the reload. He doesn't have this problem while shooting a field course. The answer is simple - he's shooting from a different stance.... Ok, that's easy, but how does that translate into "move... even when not moving".

Its probably 90% mental. However, the physical setup is also important. There's a tendency in approaching speed shoots and standards that we approach them more non-chalantly, or that we're more focused on the speed of hosing up those targets from this static position, and we don't pay attention to the stance that we're getting into, and the form we're taking in commencing with the shooting. And, therefore, we tend to lose our recoil control, and then gun tracks all over the place, and we ask the RO, "Where am I? And why am I in this handbasket????"

To counter that tendency, I set up the same for every stage, for starters. Weight on the balls of my feet, but balanced. Knees slightly bent, slightly forward posture with a feel of positive forward pressure in it, and body set up generally in a good shooting position. For odd start positions, I do what it takes to get as close to that as possible - for me, that usually involves getting into that position where I'm trying to shoot from first, and then moving into the start position - this sometimes requires modifying the stance a bit to get into the start position... anyway, YMMV... So, my stance is attempting to be exactly the same, all the time. Stance is so important to recoil control, gun tracking, etc - you can't compromise here. Do what it takes to always be in a good shooting stance!!!

Now, the mental part. I want to feel as if I'm about to explode out of that shooting box, just as if I had a 10 yard sprint to the first shooting position. Its definitely a feeling of dynamic tension in my whole body. I tell myself I'm going to be moving - without moving (maybe not in those words... but that's the feel). I feel the weight on my feet as if my feet were highly tensioned springs about to be released. When the beep sounds, I'm the hell out of there - but I don't move a step.

That further cements the stance into being a dynamic, living thing, that doesn't get pushed around by the gun. It also helps correct any lazy tendencies towards starts or focus on stand-and-shoots.

Note - importantly - that I did not say that I get tense. On the contrary, I clear my mind, relax my shoulders, breath slowly, and fully, and focus on the first thing to do. Learning to be calm and focused, and still be in a state of dynamic tension took some time, but its worth working on. Being tense implies axiety, worry, fear... to me. I'm not feeling any of those things when I shoot. What I
do
feel is anticipation, excitement, and adrenaline - also things that get the body moving, but in a completely different way.

Anyhow, hope that helps someone...

Well Dave this has certainly helped me understand the feeling I'm looking for. Now I can make a distinction in the type of stance based on the stage. I will take this new insight into my practice and comment on it latter. It has helped me be more explosiv from my starting position and will help me be explosiv during movement in a stage. It will also help me not to take to much time getting in a solid stance if it is not required for making the shot.

went to the range yesterday evening. Had a hard quieting the mind, in the afternoon I received some distracting legal documents.

I was able to get some things I have worked on in dryfire into practice. I'm keeping the gun high in my face box almost all the time. I'm abel to start moving better. When moving sideways it feels more natuarl to get in a stance/position that enables me to move quickly to next shootinh point. Moving forwards I still tend to rise to much. This keeps me from stopping quick and smooth. Have to keep my center of gravity low.

After reviewing the footage of the training I discovered that when shooting on the move my knees are touching and I'm very upright or unnatural bend at the hips. Stopping and accelarating isn't smooth or effective at all.

My hits we're reasonable, could not keep a proper sight focus for shots under 10 meters, I was sloppy and I deserved the C and D hits I shot.

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last entry

I've had a lot on my mind (still have), this affects my effective behavior in a large way. Still strugling to get work balanced with my private life. Never the less I can report some progress. I've been for from deliberate perfect practice, to be honest it was very random and unstructured. (no this does not sound like me, or does it? grrrrr)

I'll post my insights and other 'relevant' things in seperate posts.

How muscle tension affects performance

I've been made aware of my high muscle tension, I easily develop this as a result of my adhd. In the past before medication I had 4 or 5 discs out place every three months because of the high muscle tension. Since a few years I'm on meds and the muscle tension is not as high anymore. Under stress I've been building up tension again.

When I was at the North Sea Jazz festival for three days in July, and enjoying good music and dancing (well sort off) I noticed my muscles relaxing more and more. As the tension was released I was able to move more smooth or supple/athletic.

When I dryfired the next day I was able to push my self much faster without being sloppy. My movements during live fire were a bit smoother as well.

I made the link to shooting when I was watching GM from DAA, Saul explained how easy a sub-second draw is when you relax your muscles.

Although I've always known this but I don't pay enough attention to relaxation, it's one of does things I can always do tomorrow…..not. The key to success is a combination of physical exercise and mental exercise to support the shooting.

Edited by Mr Unnatural

New insights into training

I've been rereading the second book of Steve Anderson, and this has given me a better understanding of his posts in my log. Especially the conscious and unconscious mind aspect of performance in competition and training. It is certainly true that learning IPSC is a stacked learning experience. Although my understanding of the principles exceeds my abilities at the moment. I'll have to put more time in live and dryfire instead.

It's now clear to me I'm thinking to much or overthinking things and making it more difficult then necessary.

One thing that interested me was that instead of focusing on proper technique I could also design training that "forces" me to execute technique properly so I can stay with the shooting instead of the moving. Although it makes sense to me I'm still figuring out how to design exercises for my practice.Currently I think the solution is in micro-drills like mentioned in the book of Mike Seeklander. Also Steve's drill's are good examples of micro drill's.

deliberate practice is what I need!!!

Keeping motivated

I've been reading Mind Gym, by Gary Mack, it's a valuable book for everybody interested in understanding and improving his mental game. One of the things I find difficult is staying motivated.

For me it is important to improve my goalsetting and logging my performance to see my improvement. Allthough I thought I had this one covered seems I've missed the importance of short term goalsetting. Like making a draw at a full target at 15m in 1,3 cold and hitting the A zone before september 15. Although I understand the importance of setting intermediate and short term goals and measuring them to see progress to stay motivated. I find it a tedious job to measure and record my performance. I find my self slacking on this after a few weeks after I've started. In part this is because of I'm the only one in my club who wants to do this. Writing this sentence shows me that I'm not willing to pay the price to reach my goal hmmmm.

I look forward to the new CED 7000 pro as a useful tool in goal setting and keeping a log. It's the log keeping I find hard to keep up.It'll be released about the time of the worldshoot when the software gets done.

post-11063-0-91035500-1312520676_thumb.j