Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing Dawson sight on G35 Gen 4

ProsperGunMan

I was speaking with a fellow shooter last night at a local match and he was telling me how simple it was to install Dawson Precision fiber optic front and adjustable rear. He said that Dawson ships the sights with a nylon punch for the rear sight and the nut driver to install the front sight. He said he installed to sets on both his G35 and G35 in under 30 minutes.

Has anybody done this themselves and is this truly the case?

Installing sights is not hard. Unscrew front sight and pull off front sight, put in new one, put a little locktight on screw and screw in.

Rear sight takes some effort to punch off. Once old sight is off clean out dovetail and set new sight in to see how it fits. It should slide in part way with no punch. If it seams too tight file a touch off the new sight till it goes in a third of the way or so with no mallet. Then use mallet and the little punch they gave you and knock it on till centered. If you are decent with your hands and have mechanical reasoning skills this process will only take a couple minutes...If you dont have decent hands and mechanical reasoning tools don't ever try to work on your guns.

Installing sights is fairly simple, just make sure rear sight isn't too tight and obviously dont take too much off and make too loose; it should take some force but not require a sledge hammer. The cute litle punch Dawson provides should be a clue about the amount of force required.

Got it...I am fairly handy. I put the Vanek Trigger in and switched out the striker and striker spring. I have a vise, needle files to trim down rear sight, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Be patient with the file and you'll be fine.