Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wind

Erik S.

I really hate this springtime southern New Mexico wind!!! It's driving me crazy because I can't shoot as much as I want, or at least it's not as fun as when it's calm outside. And all the poppers get knocked down at the match unless they're set to .50BMG standards. :angry2::angry2:

Maybe a rant on here will get me through the next few weeks when it will (hopefully) calm down.

I really hate this springtime southern New Mexico wind!!! It's driving me crazy because I can't shoot as much as I want, or at least it's not as fun as when it's calm outside. And all the poppers get knocked down at the match unless they're set to .50BMG standards. :angry2::angry2:

Maybe a rant on here will get me through the next few weeks when it will (hopefully) calm down.

I feel for you. The wind has been bad enough here (north end of the Delta - all flat open fields) that I don't even try to shoot paper at home. Last time I tried, the 45 mph gusts were ripping targets off the staples and blowing them 100 yards at a hop. Trying to practice SH/WH is a major challenge, too, when the wind is blowing so hard that it's a challenge just to stand still and keep the gun from getting blown off target.

We'll miss the wind in August when its 100 degrees and 90% humidity.

Edited by bbbean

Wind is my regular enemy at my home range. The shooting range is built in what has to be the windiest place in the entire damn island. We regularly get days or entire weeks where we have steady winds with gusts up to about 50 mph. During practice sessions I sometimes have to put steel poppers on the back of the steel target frames to prevent them from blowing over. Sometimes thats not enough and the wind will blow the stand down with the popper on it :angry2: Strong hand/weak hand is a nightmare in the wind

Funny thing is there are several new 1 acre residential lots with multimillion dollar homes built just down the road from the range; I bet the realtors who sold them their homes didnt tell 'em about the 50 mph gusts that rip through there