Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing Protection

cyburg

Ok, I have been looking at several post and selected items such as Pro Ears Gold Slim and MSA SORDIN SUPREME PRO-X. Pro ears gold slim in db of 28 and MSA SORDIN SUPREME PRO-X is 19 db.

If the higher the protection is better then why not go for the highest? I am just trying to figure this out, please help me understand.

I am looking at getting the pro ears but if there is another reason to go with another then I could use the help and by the best for the ears.

Thank you,

Ok, I have been looking at several post and selected items such as Pro Ears Gold Slim and MSA SORDIN SUPREME PRO-X. Pro ears gold slim in db of 28 and MSA SORDIN SUPREME PRO-X is 19 db.

If the higher the protection is better then why not go for the highest? I am just trying to figure this out, please help me understand.

I am looking at getting the pro ears but if there is another reason to go with another then I could use the help and by the best for the ears.

Thank you,

I believe there is more to it than just db's. The Sordin's provide continuous protection, while allowing positive sound to be emitted. This is what I gathered from the information I obtained, but there are more knowledgeable and experienced that will be able to answer your question.

Edited by corbon

I have used both of them, & you can't go wrong with either one, both excellent. I personally like the Pro Ears Slims slightly better, but it's just a matter of individual feel - I would guess these 2 are the most preferred sets of muffs for shooting if you took a poll.

I just visited an ENT (Ears, Nose, Throat) doctor to have my hearing checked. Just wanted to be safe. Hearing was very good, so I'm all set. The other purpose of the visit was to bring my hearing protection (custom plugs and MSA Sordins) to have him check to see if what I was using was good. BTW, he's a shooter too so he knows the effects of guns, etc. He said both the custom plugs and the MSA Sordins I have would be good. He prefers I wear them both, but either one would be good. I brought the specs printed out he checked the technical info on both of them and said they were both very good.

So knowing the protection is good, I would highly recommend the Sordins. I have them and love them. If you get them, get the Gel inserts, they are worth it. Much more comfortable.

By the way Cyburg, if you're interested, Shooters Express in Mt Holly, NC (just south of the airport on I-85) does the E.A.R. custom fit ear plugs. I think they were $50-60. They work extremely well, super comfortable, especially in the summer when it's hot and humid. I'll usually double up when I'm RO'ing an Open shooter, but stick to the plugs when I shoot. If you go to Shooters Express, the guy that does the fitting used to be off on Wednesday. Think he is there every other day. They prefer you don't come on Saturday because it gets so busy, but they can still do them.

Shooters Express

E.A.R. video

I got the Sordins (Supreme Pros) since they fit so well under an ACH, were waterproof, and had the aux input for me to rock out on the range... alright, I don't actually use the last feature. Anyways, as stated above, if you get the Sordins, you really should get the gel pads.

You really can't go wrong with either.

-Randy