Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at getting a Super 1050

Hello Everyone,

Just like the title says, I am looking at getting a Super 1050. I have been reloading for about 7 years now, and myself and some friends want to go in on a 1050. I currently am loading on both a 550 and 650. Since there are five of us reloading, we are noticing that we are shooting a lot more, not a bad thing at all. Since most of the brass we have is military once fired, we were looking at getting the 1050 for the speed and the built in swager. I just have a few questions though. We are looking at using this for both 5.56 and 9mm, so I was looking at getting two toolhead conversions. My questions are:

1. Should I get the 1050 in 7.62x39 because it comes with both large and small primer systems?

2. Do you have to adjust the swager for different brass manfacture's?

3. Based on your experience, what other items will need to get?

4. I am also looking at getting a Mr. Bullet feeder, anything special to make this work smoothly?

Thanks again, all of your advice is appreciated.

Forgive me if this reply is fractured. It's 3am and I'm annoyed to be awake and my coffee is not quite finished.

I'd skip the 7.62 conversion, and just get the seperate primer system. 7.62 x 39 is likely to remain a surplus caliber for decades, and odds are you won't get the use out of the shellplate you expect.

Yes, you are best off to adjust the swager for each brass type. Sorting by headspace is a really good idea. You can get away without sorting, but odds are you will appreciate the results if you segregate the brass. It's primarily the backing rod in the toolhead you need to adjust to account for the web of the case.

If you are looking to get this just for yourself, equip it to suit your needs. If you are buying this as part of a larger group, work towards the needs of your least adept member.

I recommend the Dillon primer tube filler.

You mention a group, and that you have a 650 in the inventory already.

In your shoes, I'd suggest your members invest in a poopload of brass, and get the Ponsness Warren autodrive kit for the 1050.

Use the 1050 to bulk process your brass.

Set up a toolhead to size and swage your brass, and run all of it through the 1050. Now all your primers pockets are done.

Set up a toolhead without dies, and take the sized brass with rims you know are not bent, and pre-prime the cases.

With sized and primed cases in bulk, when you go to load ammo you only need to worry about powder level and bullet seating. With the P/W autodrive and the Mr. Bulletfeeder, you can load your ammo with full attention to this and never have to worry about a munched primer, bent rim, ringed primer pocket, etc.

Or alternatively, you'll have processed brass to run on your 650 by hand.

As for the Mr.Bulletfeeder, mine runs well and reliably. Only time it's puked was on a bad plated bullet. If you and your group are shooting the same bullet, there should be no issues. If you need to adjust to different bullet shapes, there may be some fiddling, but odds are it will just be in the noseplate and you should be able to mark the position for each type.

The biggest headache I can envision for your plan is money and scheduling. If you have a group that can be relied on to pay upfront, and respect the hosts homelife schedule, you're good to go. If there are concerns, discuss them before committing to the project.

Edited by Canuck223