Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EK

euxx

I figured, I should start logging my progress, so here it is. I am now at C class in USPSA Production division and trying to work my way to A class.

Recently picked up some speed on medium distances and now need to slow down a bit to get my points back. Also work on my target acquisition (on video there are few moments of hesitation). Hopefully that will help me to go trough the Area 6 match next week.

Right after Area 6 will be a postal shotgun match and I am also working on my weak hand reloads...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Going to practice some movers on weekend. It is painful to reset them after each sequence. So, I came up with a shortcut for practicing swingers. The idea is to setup an activator (popper), several static targets or plates and a swinger. First shot would go to the activator, then there should be enough time to acquire a sight picture on static target long enough to make two shots (but not shooting it) and then move to swinger and take two shots. After that move back to the next static target, acquire sight picture and then get back to swinger on a second swing. So, with Production setup you can take 5 swings in one run.

• 2 months later...

An USPSA Production Nationals post morten.

Match turned to be a major disaster, finished 78th with 64.6% owerall, wich is rather low result for me. Somehow I couldn't keep it together this time. Here is details for each stage.

Day 3

Stage 1.

Choose to go to the right, which in retrospect probably wasn't the best plan. But to make it worse, I had a nasty double feed because one of the magazines fell apart. In result lost several seconds. 48% and 23 sec vs 12 sec. On a bright side I were able to identify and replace broken magazine.

Stage 2

An unloaded start and then plenty of movement and transitions, finishing on two clam shells activated by poppers. Hesitated on second popper and as a result got a mis on one of the clam shells. In result 68% and 27 sec vs 20.

Stage 3

The virginia count with second string weak hand only. 66% and 11 sec vs 7 sec.

Stage 4

A smple yet tricky speed shoot. Shot it right after Stage 3 and was shaking from adrenaline rush. Two partial and two full targets at 20y. Went too fast on the partials and zeroed the whole thing with 3 misses. 6 sec vs 4 sec.

Stage 5

A field course with lots of precise movement and two swingers. Somehow I couldn't replay my stage plan and it all fell apart after missing some steel. Ended skipping one of the poppers and getting extra penalty. 45% and 36 sec vs 23 sec.

Stage 6

Another field course with several swingers and clam shells, starting with close targets. On first dwinger, again after hesitation after activator didn't had enoug time for second shot and left a mike. 64% and 27.8 sec vs 21 sec.

Day 1

Stage 7

First stage of the match. Two windows with 6 steel and 3 paper targets. A bit slow start. 65.8% and 11 sec vs 8 sec.

Stage 8

Short stage. 4 steel, one full and one partial paper. Decided to start on the partial, then somehow slowly aimed on every small popper. 65% and 11 sec vs 6.5 sec.

Stage 9

Field course with unloaded start and again starting with close targets increasing distance to the end. Shoot it slow and probably should have eliminated one of the shooting positions. 69.4% and 25 sec vs 23 sec.

Stage 10

Should have listened to the walk trough for this one. Simple stage with plenty of running and close targets from within the house, but I skipped one popper. 41% and 15 sec vs 13 sec.

Stage 11

Shooting small plates from a moving bridge. 55% and 16.6 sec vs 9 sec.

Day 2

Stage 12

Medium course with two windows, some close and some far targets and one popper. 74.8% and 10.8 sec vs 8 sec.

Stage 13

A 10 rounds stage. 6 poppers and two swingers with an unloaded start. Made misses on poppers and had to reload. 38% and 18 sec vs 9 sec.

Stage 14

Medium stage with some partial head shots. Two misses on those. 37% and 13 sec vs 9 sec

Stage 15

Another medium course with several partial targets. 66% and 12.5 sec vs 8 sec.

Stage 16

Madium course from behind a barricade. 70% and 11.5 sec vs 7.5 sec.

Stage 17

This was the only stage with a low port. Again medium course with 6 partial papers and 2 poppers. 76% and 8.8 sec vs 6.7 sec.

Stage 18

Again medium course with 3 poppers and 2 swingers with 4 more paper targets from behind barricade. Had to wait for the second swing on both swingers. 64.7% 12.6 sec vs 8.6 sec.

Stage 19

A slow starting field course, with activating popper and moving target, the rest of it was close targets on the move. Missed in the moving target and lost time trying to catch up, still not make up for the miss and couldnt quite shoot the close target on the move. 59% and 24 sec vs 16 sec.

Stage 20

A field course with 4 max traps and lots of movement. Hit penalty on one of the simple and close targets and took some time for a make up shot. 53% and 26 sec vs 17 sec.

Overall it seem like for the most part I need to work on the steel and swingers.

Another difficulty is to replay plan for complicated long stages with some precise movement.