Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 and Tula primer issue

Hello. I'm having a problem I'm hoping you all might help me with. I have been loading on my 650 for years, and am pretty familiar with it, and have not had any problems. I recently picked up some Tula primers and loaded about 1,000 rounds with no issues. Then, out of the blue, I started getting a strange problem. When cycling the press, a primer (usualy the one just coming out of the magazine) will get 'cocked' ever so slightly in the hole of the round disk that moves the primers around in a circle. It binds the disk, and won't allow it to move, which subsequently doesn't allow the press to move to the full up or down position. At that point, I'm forced to remove the shell plate and primer assembly, and push out the cocked, offending primer. I can re-assemble it, and within 5 more rounds, it will do it again. This happened about 8 or 9 times in a row. I got pretty frustrated and switched back to some Winchester primers, and it SEEMS as though the problem went away, but I don't feel like I loaded enough to be positive. So it would appear that the Tula primers are to blame, but why? And why was I able to loak a K with no issues?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

ETA...Doin it with Winchester primers too.

Update:

So I figured out my problem. I took the priming system apart to clean and inspect it a little better. Turns out there was a small bur on one of the holes in the primer disc. It was catching / pinching / pushing / cocking the primer kinda sideways in the disc, which was causing the binding. I hit it with a small, fine round file, and the problem went away. Loaded close to a thousand this morning with no issues.

Edited by RAZZ