Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My local IDPA club has a monthly TSA match. It's usually a 2-gun with rifle/pistol or shotgun/pistol and sometimes they do a 3 gun match. Not many people turned out at the match I attended (about 16). I had a lot of fun as I've been looking for affordable matches to get into 3 gun. They charge $10 a match if you are a club member ($20/year). I really like the scoring format for TSA as well.

After looking into the TSA website, it seems dead...or at least their forum is dead. Some of their rules are quite vague as well. The match director said that they probably won't be using TSA for much longer as it is "dying".

I hope they don't stop doing the affordable monthly matches. I tried suggesting that they set their own rules or adopt other rules and stick with them. It's not like they give out prizes for these matches, so I don't know what the big deal is about trying to get in on some sort of sanctioning.

Is anybody on this forum doing TSA matches? Do you like them? What other organizations would you suggest they follow or try to align with?

I personally would be very careful aligning myself with any organization which advertises itself as a tactical training and skill "test" (as their rulebook states). Although it is better than years past, there are still way too many people out there looking for "militias" and such.

I personally would be very careful aligning myself with any organization which advertises itself as a tactical training and skill "test" (as their rulebook states). Although it is better than years past, there are still way too many people out there looking for "militias" and such.

The guys that put on the monthly event here are in charge of the IDPA stuff. All the equipment comes out of the IDPA sheds which are completely separate from the USPSA sheds. A couple of guys can afford to do all 3 matches (IDPA pistol, TSA, and USPSA) every month. I joined USPSA and swore I'd never do any IDPA as I don't carry and I didn't really like the IDPA rules. The USPSA guys don't like putting on multi-gun events so I tried the TSA match. I didn't get any feeling that this was any type of militia training. More just wanting to have fun with whatever guns they have. One old dude shot his keltec 9 in the carbine stages. Our range is a Morale Welfare and Recreation range on a military post that is open to the public. Every match has several active duty military personnel participating. Locally, I highly doubt it's any sort of "militia".

With the USPSA guys only wanting to do pistol stuff one weekend a month, I don't foresee any multi-gun activity from them in the near future. The guys up the road in Las Cruces hold a 3-gun every couple of months or so, but it would be nice to have something local on a regular basis.

I may have to be satisfied with my own practice sessions and timed drill competitions with people on the forums if the TSA matches go away.

I'm willing to play by whatever rules are established if it involves multi-gun stages.