Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Powdercop saved me twice this week.

Lee G

The first time it saved me from a squib while loading up some .45's, the powder measure threw a charge less than 1 grain. Turned out I had a static buildup that was quickly fixed with a dryer sheet. Then today I was loading some .40's and I noticed the plunger was way high. Somehow I managed to throw a double charge. I'm really not sure how that happened, but I didn't have any further problems after that.

I'm really not sure I would have noticed the double charge since it wasn't spilling out of the case. It was pretty high. The squib I never would have seen if it weren't for the powder cop. 3.9 grains of clays in the bottom of a .45 isn't easy for me to see. I have to admit I was a little worried that I didn't get the RCBS lockout die at first, but after seeing the powder cop work mid session I'm a believer.

• 1 month later...

If you think the Hornady Powder Cop is good, you should stop using it and get one of the RCBS Lockout Dies.

I have both! The powder cop is now sitting as a spare.

The Lockout Die works much better. It will save you without you having to look at it (as you have to with the Powder Cop). If you forget to look at it, it's useless!

With the Lockout Die, you don't have to remember to look at the die, so it's a lot safer.

Just my opinion, and yes I own both!

Once you learn not to double pump the press, you should never get a double charge. I've never had a squib load yet, but the Lockout Die will help me if I ever do.

Just trying to help!

If you think the Hornady Powder Cop is good, you should stop using it and get one of the RCBS Lockout Dies.

The Lockout Die works much better. It will save you without you having to look at it (as you have to with the Powder Cop). If you forget to look at it, it's useless!

With the Lockout Die, you don't have to remember to look at the die, so it's a lot safer.

Once you learn not to double pump the press, you should never get a double charge. I've never had a squib load yet, but the Lockout Die will help me if I ever do.

Just trying to help!

any idea how it compares to the dillon powder check?

Just trying to help!

i was going to buy the lockout die before the powdercop but ended up getting the powdercop. its perdy much a powdercop die with the added bonus of locking up the press... but from what i heard u can give your casing near a double charge n it wont lock... or at least for pistol cases?? can someone confirm??

i kinda wanna buy one if that was plain FUD.