Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.56/223 reloads

madbear

i just bought 2 boxes of sierra 55gr spitzer's, got home & noticed that the bullets were labeled (blitz med vel). the bullets i have been shooting did not have this med vel label. is there a problem shooting these it the velosity i have been shooting "3060-3140". their are both .224 and i can't see any difference.

i have been losding mixed brass with 25.5 gr of w748 & cci 450's.

thanks 4 any info

while i am on the subject i have a bunch of brass i primed with cci 400 & was using imr 4198 for 40 gr loads. i don't like the imr because of bridging & related accuracy issues. i tried to use these primed loads (cci 400) with w748 & 55 gr bullets but they didn't cycle the bolt right. the question is can i increase the powder "748" to compensate for the 400 primers or will that give me to much pressure. the load would be 55gr spitzer on top 25.5 gr w748, nato brass w cci 400's +++

thanks again

• 2 months later...

The med velocity stamp on the Blitz bullets means more about what the bullet is going to do when it hits it's intended target... its intended for hunting. The expansion qualities of any expanding projectile frequently hinge on the speed the projectile is moving when it enters the medium. If you were loading the Med velocity Blitzs in a different cartridge that was pushing them smooooookin like over 4000 fps, (and twist rate palys a huge part) you might be looking at projectile failure in flight, but not a problem at your listed fps. Your listed load of 25.5 gr of W748 looks fine in a manual I just looked in, but I'm really curious as to what load wasn't working the action. As a side note, have you ever tried Varget with 55's?

As for choosing 400 (normal small rifle) or 450 (magnum small rifle) CCI's, i would say run the 400 if you get relaible ignition, 450 if you don't, but............ I don't try to work pressure issues by changing primers. I look for dependable ignition in a primer choice and I work on pressure issues with powder selection and charge weights.