Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marriott Hotels

CZinSC

I used to travel a lot for business and was able to hit Marriott Gold Elite Status in the past. Unfortunately I didn't travel as much in 2010. I only stayed 33 of the required 50 nights to achieve Gold Status for 2011. I was resigned to the fact that I was "only" going to be Silver Elite this year. However, I just got a letter in the mail thanking me for my continued business, and even though I didn't achieve the required stays, they are making me a Gold member for 2011!!

How's that for customer service?!

What's the big deal you may say? Look at it this way....Gold status enables me to acquire points faster, which in turn can be used to stay free nights when I go to major matches! It really cuts your shooting costs down when you can stay two nights at a nice hotel and not pay.

I totally get that and love Marriott however, not typically on my company's "preferred" list; instead, I opt for ICH and Hilton properties. Our team is currently going through a reorg and my reporting structure, position, etc is TBD. That brings it's own element of stress and anxiety on it's own but it also concerns me that this 'perk' could potentially go away. Takes a while to build up but every little bit helps and this was really key in my 2011 shooting plans. :angry2:

Congrats to you though. That's awesome!!

Sherry

Yes, we are lucky. We have a system that we book travel through, and for hotels it's up to you to pick one. We have to stay under $200, but they prefer if you keep it under $150. I will always book a cheaper Residence Inn or Courtyard further away if its cheaper, just so I can stay with the Marriott brand and get my points.

For airlines...ugh...we just switched over to American as our preferred. After two flights...i'm already not a fan. I've had loads of good experience with Continental, so switching is tough. AA's website BLOWS! Try and track a flight and it takes you 5 mins to get there with a mobile device. Continental used to be a snap.

Oh well...at least the company lets me keep my points earned from business trips for personal. If they didn't, that would really stink.

I love Marriott. When I was with the feds I was able to hold the preferred status as well, but mine was usually silver elite. Nevertheless it was still enough to earn me a lot of points to the extent that even after 5 years of no travel, I'm booking hotel rooms for free on the rare occasion when we do go out of town. Nice!