Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Start???

dbritt066

I am interested in IDPA and was wondering if someone could give me some help on how to get started.  Do I have to join something, show up, pay a fee, or what?  What type of equipment is needed?  What types of shooting is all evolved?  Where can I do this at?  I live in Beaumont, TX and was wondering if anyone knows of anything local or would I have to go like to Houston?  Thanks for the help.

Bring a gun, speedloaders/mags and a holster that covers the trigger guard to ANY IDPA match and they'll walk you through anything you need to know. New shooters are treated very well at any (local, now) match I've ever been to.

FWIW

Larry

At a minimum, you'll need a serviceable pistol, 3 magazines for it, a holster that covers the trigger guard and is otherwise safe, and "concealable", eye and ear protection are also mandatory, and you'll probably need about 100 rounds of ammunition, and you may need to wear a "concealment garment" (some kind of shirt that will cover your holstered pistol).

Most local clubs I've shot at charged about $10 to $15 for a match.  Check the websites already posted, and contact the match directors of local clubs before you go if you can (I usually need to get directions to new ranges I go to, anyway).

Also, check http://www.uspsa.org to find local uspsa clubs...the shooting is fairly similar, though you might need more magazines and ammo, but there might be a uspsa club closer to you than the nearest IDPA club.

It's a good idea to read the IDPA rulebook before going, too, and you'll have some idea of what to expect.

Good luck,

DogmaDog

Usually, clubs will let you shoot at least one match before they start coercing you into joining IDPA (~$35 annual membership).