Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring(s) Compact 40 S&W

Steve4102

I have a new Witness Compact in 40 S&W that is giving me fits. When it was new it ran great except that the slide would lock back for no reason. After a few hundred rounds the slide cracked. I sent it back to EAA and they replaced the slide.

With the new slide I am having a lot of trouble getting this thing to cycle. Even with no mag or ammo the slide would catch at a certain point and hang up. I figured it needed to be broken in, so I lubed it up, plopped my ass in front of the TV and racked the slide back and forth till my blisters popped. It's better, not great, but better. It does not hang up without a mag anymore, but it still hangs in the same place with a loaded mag. It hangs just before the bullet contacts the feed ramp. If I give the slide a little push with my thumb it will close.

So, I'm out of ideas except for maybe a heavier recoil spring. Might be enough help get this thing to cycle? Problem is I can't find any springs for this thing. It is a compact 40 S&W that has a two spring system. Anyone now where I can get a set of heavier springs for this Compact Model?

Thanks