Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat vs hp vs rn

evild

Any reason to use on over the other in a 9mm? I'm thinking flat tip might be a little better on the steel targets.

If you have a gun that is picky about what it will feed, a RN will usually be the best bet. Most Open shooters are using either a JHP or CMJ to keep from getting lead buildup in the comp. From a pure accuracy standpoint, JHPs are usually the best because the process to make them allows them to be more consistent.

I don't think you're going to see any difference in how a flat point or truncated cone will work on steel targets. On a full hit, any of them is going to transfer all of their energy to the target, and that's what matters. Heavier bullets do seem to do a better job of knocking down steel (at the same PF)...it's an impulse thing from what my physics expert friends tell me. If you want to knock down steel better, a slight bump in velocity will make more difference and won't really be noticeable if you keep the average increase to something like 20-30fps (within the range of extreme spread you'd normally see anyway). R,