Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What height front sight?

JANIJ00

O.K., I'm looking to get some new sights for my Colt Commander. A Dawson FO front with a Heine Slant Pro rear. I have called both Dawson and Heine and get a different answer from each. Dawson says I would need a .160 front. Heine says that I would need a .180 front. Is there anyone who has this sight combination on a Commander? What height front did you go with?

Be aware that exactly where your gun/load hits re elevation is very dependent on how that gun, with that load, recoils in your hands. There's no way for someone over the phone, or the Internet, to sort of magically say, "Yes, you need an X height front sight and that'll zero you in."

While the folks on this forum may well share their experiences with you, of what height front sight has allowed them to zero their gun, with their load, in their hands, that really has nothing to do with what will work for you. Because you're not them. Not only are you - in all probability - firing a different gun, with a different load, you have a different body: a different muscular system, a different skeletal system, a different nervous system. Recoil energy is going to travel through your body, and the gun is going to move in your hands, in a fashion quite possibly very different from the people telling you what worked for them. You're actually going to have to go out to the range, see where your gun hits in your hands - and then quite possibly buy a higher or lower front sight to get the gun zeroed.

If the gun hits to POA now, just send the slide to them and let them measure and install. Send in a target with a group, with the distance written on it and the POA specified.

Novak is very quick to instal and return, like 3 days turnaround. Dawson was not quick with mine, took several weeks. I dunno for Heine, but I expect they will tell you how long.

Edited by ben b.