Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Debugging A Stage

Vince Pinto

If there's something I've missed (I'm a bit sleepy!!), just add your suggestions in another post.

Well,

I perhaps have a few, rather safety issues.

Always check what's behind the paper targets - rocks, trees, other hard surfaces might cause ricochets.

If you have low (and rather close) targets, the shots will hit the surface and not the backstop/side berm, then you should know that after several shooters, a small hole will be formed. That hole also might cause ricochets in the long run. This might be prevented if, before the very first shot has taken, we raise a small "hill" behind these targets, to catch the bullets (or put these targets higher). That hill might be several tyres in a column, filled with sand. If you cannot build such "auxiliary berms", then check the terrain behind these targets more frequently during the run, and take steps if necessary to avoid ricochets.

If the stage requires movements that more or less sidewise, check whether the side berm is long enough to stop the bullet - just in case, you know.

Check the edges of the ports. There shouldn't be nails, screws, other sharp objects nearby, not even on the back side of the ports.

One for the consistency:

Read and check the written briefing, and debug it for loopholes, and bad wording. Check whether you have all that is needed for the correct start position. Sounds obvious, doesn't it?

One for the others:

Check what's above the ports. The gases from the ports and compensators might (and will) tear off the pourly fixed papers, clothes, etc.

One for the DQ traps:

If there are ports facing not directly downrange, and the shooter will move forward from these ports, take a note and warm the shooters that their gun might stick on the edge of the port when they run forward, resulting a 90 degree violance and DQ.

I hope these are not all obvious...

I hope these are not all obvious...

Even if so ... most things seem so obvious when they are properly written down, but are easily forgotton when push comes to shove.

You have raised some very valid and welcome additions to the list, if I may say so.