Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&w Crimp Question

Fireant

I've read here that you can measure the crimp and should get about .420" I'm right at .422" and if I crank my crimp die down anymore it shortens the OAL of the round. I've also be told that you can check crimp by pushing down on the bullet and if it slides into the case you need more crimp. When I push in on the bullet it does eventually move in the case. What should I do about the crimp?

Fireant,

I didn't read through all the posts in the above reference, but I believe that it's the sizing of the casewall (lots of surface area compared to the crimp) that actually HOLDS the bullet, not the crimp. I have (for about 15 short years) been using between .001-.002" of crimp which is just enough to help get rid of any feeding problems that may have otherwise reered thier ugly heads. To accomplish this I simply measure the case (with the bullet seated) slightly below the case mouth and right on the edge, just before the caliper slips off, to determine the actual amount of crimp. I could be off, but it's worked quite well for me. Just check to see what your size die is doing, it could be off dimentionally, I've seen that before. Also too much crimp can be bad ju-ju in auto pistols, as you're prbably aware. Among other things, it could actually cause the case to bulge out ever so slightly, where it should be contacting the bullet. Where's Guy when you need him any way...? :D

Regards,

Todd