Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

History of Square Deal and "B"?

Does anyone know what the differences are between the Square Deal and the Square Deal B, and when the "B" was introduced?

I picked up a little SD to keep my 650 company. I had bid on it on one of these 19 day auctions and completely forgot about. I was surprised to "win" it. I'm going to set it up in my "oddest" pistol caliber as a relatively expensive caliber conversion. Probably .41 mag.

Other than being dirty inside and out, I did ok. I completely disassembled, cleaned, and lubed and it runs like a little champ. Nothing like the 650, though, I really appreciate the difference.

Bob

My two SDs are over 20 years old. My brother and I split the cost of the first one as neither could afford the $130 or so on our own. The biggest difference is in how the powder measure works. IIRC the original set up just had return springs and no fail safe rod. Dillon did the upgrade for free, while they were doing a refurbish, also free.

The base casting has been changed at some point as the new ones have a gusset that extends to the rear mounting point, my old SD's dont. The primer catch has also been changed to something similar to the 650 the old one hung on a little plastic part that always broke. They will send you new ones for free but I wound up making steel replacements for mine.

DSC02176.jpg

sdprime.jpg

Edited by jmorris

A Case feeder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How does it work. I always wished they made one for my SDB but I now have a 650 with one. Still have the SDB though. Great press that I used for more than 15 years before upgrading.

A Case feeder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How does it work

I was just playing around on a rainy day, it’s not a production item just scrap parts kluged together, but it does work.

Click on this photo for a short video.

th_MOV02172.jpg

Jmorris,

Do you have the delrin link arm bushings, or, have you gone to brass?

I know that my small primer one has the brass bushings but I am not sure about the one I use for large primer cases.