Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Long or Short for Revolver ?

AultGM

I finally worked up a load for my 6.5" 610 that will (hopefully) get me through

the upcoming Nationals without a problem.

4.6 gn N320, 180 RN Berry's, Fed 100's, Rem. Nickel Brass, loaded to 1.200"

I am averaging between 166.6 & 168.5 PF with this load and that is cutting is close.

If I reduce the OAL to 1.165" or so, will I achieve more velocity or just more pressure ?

Thank You for your thoughts, Howard

Yipes! :surprise: You will get both, but it's not linear. Trying to adjust the power factor with OAL is like trying to win a woman with an insult! It generally doesn't work, and more than your ego can get bruised! Leave the OAL to what runs in your gun, and doesn't show any excessive pressure signs. Since you are using a revolver, use what OAL leaves you clear of the forcing cone and fully into the cylinders even if you get a little "recoil stretch" while shooting. Adjust the power factor with powder! If the powder you are using is too fast for what you are trying to do then get another! You don't want to be "wearing" pieces of your gun... bleeding at a match is sooooo unbecoming! Again, pressure curves vs. OAL are NOT linear, and are especially troublesome with fast powders.

While I do see some loads by various people with pistols (not revolvers) using more of this powder with 180grn bullets that make major with shorter OAL's, and I do see some with more 320 in them in OAL's like yours in auto pistols, VV does not recommend this load as far as I can see even in auto loaders.

But hey... I'm just some guy. Someone here will probably tell you they've been doing it for years and still have all their fingers. Me... I'm just too cautious.

NO excessive pressure signs and the cases do not bulge at all ... The load is

actually pretty soft in the 6.5" 610 and I have used this same load for my STI

Limited Gun at least 10 years with OAL length at 1.165"

I suppose I will just go with the 1.200" OAL and hope for the best.

Never loaded for a 10 mm.

Loaded a ton at the 1.165 or so in .40. Can't see there would be any difference.

I would not blink even 1 time to go that OAL. I Might cut it down a 1/10 grain or so the first few test rounds.... But probably not.

Just my .02....smile.gif

Oh... 10mm! Ok then! I thought he was using just .40 brass or something. Though I still say adjusting the OAL for anything other than to get the gun to run is a false hope, with 10mm brass he has a lot more internal space and the above load should be ok without excess pressure.

I should have specified that I am loading .40 caliber ... NOT 10mm

The other posters are talking about 10mm loads.

I just found out that I have a fractured T11 Vertebrae (which is causing some unreal pain)

and may not shoot the Nats after all, unless my Surgeon can patch me up in time.

I will probably revert back to a Minor Load if I actually get the chance to compete.