Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Senior moments

xcount

Have not shot a match in over 5 years and it has been that long since reloading as well. Now that retired thinking about playing again a bit. In going through my supplies I find a unopened can of Universal Clays, plus a partial can. Problem is I lost part of my load data and have nothing listed as using Clays -- and a failing memory, too boot.

Toward the end, I was shooting .40 revolver using Precision 155 gr. round nose -- and I think the Clays was for that. I only shot .40 and .38 Super so it had to be for a .40 recipie -- but damned if I can remember what.

Clays in .40 ring a bell with anyone?

I sure appreciate it.

Dave

Have not shot a match in over 5 years and it has been that long since reloading as well. Now that retired thinking about playing again a bit. In going through my supplies I find a unopened can of Universal Clays, plus a partial can. Problem is I lost part of my load data and have nothing listed as using Clays -- and a failing memory, too boot.

Toward the end, I was shooting .40 revolver using Precision 155 gr. round nose -- and I think the Clays was for that. I only shot .40 and .38 Super so it had to be for a .40 recipie -- but damned if I can remember what.

Clays in .40 ring a bell with anyone?

I sure appreciate it.

Dave

Clays, International Clays, and Universal Clays are not the same powders. I've used both and Clays can be touchy at standard overall lengths. Universal Clays on the other hand is pretty safe stuff in that caliber. I was loading a 180gr zero JHP, 4.7gr of UC, 1.135 OAL. This was for a Glock, so the OAL was shorter than most loading for an STI, SVI, etc.

What bullets do you have to currently load with?

Thanks for the responses, guys. One thing that hasn't changed in 5 years is the helpfulness of fellow shooters.

OK - did a little more digging. Turns out what I have is 8 pounds + of Universal Clays - must have been planning on loading a lot right before I quit. At the time I was using a S&W 610 with 155 gr. round nose Precision moly bullets so I suspect I bought this for that load. But, the 610 is gone and so are the bullets (at least from Precision).

What I have for bullets on hand are some 220 gr. Precision TC and some Berry's 180 gr. JTC so I guess I will load those up for the Para. I did find one record for UC - a 200 gr. LTC loaded to 1.220 OAL with 4.6 of UC -- record says just over 900 fps. These were for the old major power factor.

I know I never worked up a load for either of the bullets I currently have -- but did find some info on the reloading data page. Anyone want to throw any more suggestions my way - I'll gladly take them.

Again -- thanks for the help.

BTW - the wife just asked me, "Does this mean you're gonna be gone every weekend again?" So you all may be contributing to my delinquency - just so you know who will get the blame.

Thanks,

Dave