Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber 10mm to .40 barrel question

Mattog22

I have a Kimber Stainless Target II that is in 10mm and would like to go to .40. This is for action pistol so I don't need a high dollar match grade barrel and bushing. I was looking at Kart and Storm Lake. Is one recommended over the other? Is there another one that is in the same price range that I am missing?

Thanks

Matt

I just installed a Kart gunsmith fit barrel in my limited gun and I really like the results. It has been shooting sub 1" groups at 25 yards, I used a EGW angled bushing with it also. :cheers:

Since money is a big deal here I thought I would try one of the ez-fit kart or storm lake semi drop in, they told me it shouldn't require any gunsmithing on a Kimber. I am sure you get better fit with a gunsmith fitted barrel but I was afraid of the cost. How much does a smith usually charge for barrel fitting on something like that?

It could be $150-$200 for a smith to fit a match barrel,check around to be sure. Even with the eazy-fit barrel you will still have to fit the hood and bushing. The easy-fit Kart barrels come with great instructions and if you buy the easy fit tool kit you should get it fit pretty easily. Plus you have a great support group here on the Enos forums. :cheers:

It could be $150-$200 for a smith to fit a match barrel,check around to be sure. Even with the eazy-fit barrel you will still have to fit the hood and bushing. The easy-fit Kart barrels come with great instructions and if you buy the easy fit tool kit you should get it fit pretty easily. Plus you have a great support group here on the Enos forums. :cheers:

When I talked to Storm Lake they said I shouldn't need any fitting with the Kimber if I bought the barrel and bushing kit. Is this a sloppy fit or is it OK since I will be getting a bushing that is already fit? As you can tell I'm new to the 1911 stuff. I want to go inexpensive but I don't want to do something that later I'll wish I just bucked up and did it right. Thanks for the help.

It could be a great fit or loose fit,don't know until you get it and try it. Most drop in barrels I have seen are not that tight and have some play. With very little skill you could fit the Kart easy-fit and get great results with only about a hour of work. The Kart easy fit is a little more $$$, but wouldn't a better fitting barrel be your goal? Also it wouldn't be to much more to have a gunsmith fit a match barrel for you,it's the shipping of your pistol that will cost you. If you have a smith close to you that you could drop the pistol off to that would help.

It could be a great fit or loose fit,don't know until you get it and try it. Most drop in barrels I have seen are not that tight and have some play. With very little skill you could fit the Kart easy-fit and get great results with only about a hour of work. The Kart easy fit is a little more $$, but wouldn't a better fitting barrel be your goal? Also it wouldn't be to much more to have a gunsmith fit a match barrel for you,it's the shipping of your pistol that will cost you. If you have a smith close to you that you could drop the pistol off to that would help.

There is a smith close to me. I do like to learn to do things myself, what tools would I need to fit it, or is it really just worth having the smith do it?

Tool list- 3/16 round paralell file for the lower locking lugs, special upper locking lugs file with safe sides, a smooth flat file for the barrel hood and there lots other tools that aid in the install like- hood gauge,barrel block,shop vice,bushing reamer and the list goes on. There also are some 1911 manuals that explain how to do it, Kuhnhausen 1911 shop manual,Wilson combat how to videos and more.

It's really beefy and required less fitting. I measured the inside if my slide and the dimensions to the EGW bushing were. 001 off. I only had to lap the inside of the bushing to the barrel to get it to work.

The fitting takes time, take off a little at a time and check fit.

Don't forget that Karts Have very short chambers to start with. The best accuracy will be from a Kart. Just will take a little time to get it fit.

I was watching brownells video about Kart barrels and it said they are already opened up for semi-wadcutters. Is this different than reaming(?) out a short chamber?

Yes it's different,it's throated for wadcutter ammo. You should be able to run factory lenth ammo in the Kart chamber without reaming it any deeper.

OK, so throated for wadcutter ammo isn't making the chamber deeper. Good info. It sounds like the Kart barrel is the way to go. I will call Otto Comp and see what it will set me back to have one done. Thanks for all the help and information.

Matt