Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo 1000 Lot #2058 Question

jgedmond

I just got an 8# jug of Solo 1000 from Powder Valley today. :cheers:

I still have a little of my original 12oz jug left, but will need to start using the "big boy" soon. Has anybody loaded with Lot# 2058 (5/7/10)? Just trying to see if this is a fast one or a slow before loading up some test loads to chrono. I will be using 124gr PD FMJ bullets loaded to 1.150" in used WIN brass with CCI 500 primers.

Edited by jgedmond

Do you have a chrono or access to one? What charge weight are you using now? I would always reduce by 10% or so and work back up with a new jug, running across the chrono as you go. If you usually run 4.2gr, for instance, load 10 or 20 at 3.8, 4.0, 4.2 and chrono as you work up watching for pressure signs. Fast powders approach their pressure apex fast near max and a .2 difference can flatten primers or worse quick.

I know certain jugs from certain lots are known to be faster or slower, but to be safe, start below what you were running before, particularly if it was a charge close to max. As for your lot, I'm not sure. My newest jug is lot #1930 from 02/02/10, but I am still working on a 09 dated jug. Good luck!

OK, you are confirming what I thought - I'll have to do all the work myself. :surprise:

My previous lot was a slow one (Lot# 1877, 5/14/09) and I settled on 4.6gr which gave 1069 fps (sd 6, ES 19) using 124gr PD FMJ, WIN brass, CCI 500 at 1.150" with good accuracy and gun cycling. With that Lot# 1877, I started at 3.8gr and will do the same for this lot. I will report back the chrono results, but it will be awhile until I get to testing the new lot.