Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help V V 340. Lymans manual or V V website

unionman

in Lyman 49th edition 115JHP start load 4.5 max 5.0 OAL 1.090

on the V V website load data Hornandy 115 HP-xtp start load 5.2 max 5.9 with OAL at 1.142

what gives i am a new reloader with a dilion 550 and am confused please help ...thanks..

i am using federal primers and remington 115 JHP but will be buying Montana Golds tomorrow...thanks

Edited by unionman

It's hard to say given that we don't know exactly what JHP or case Lyman used. If the bullet for the Lyman data took up more case capacity, and they loaded it to a shorter OAL, that's a big part of the difference. If the case started with less capacity (they're all a little different) that would account for a bit more of the difference. The other thing is we need to know the pressure that Lyman went to on that load. Throw in the fact that every test barrel is slightly different and we've got enough variables that it's really difficult to be certain why they got what they got.

Typically, I tend to favor the data from the powder manufacturer over that of a bullet manufacturer, but that's not an absolute. For Montana Gold JHPs, data for Hornady XTPs is usually pretty close as they're similar in profile. R,

It's hard to say given that we don't know exactly what JHP or case Lyman used. If the bullet for the Lyman data took up more case capacity, and they loaded it to a shorter OAL, that's a big part of the difference. If the case started with less capacity (they're all a little different) that would account for a bit more of the difference. The other thing is we need to know the pressure that Lyman went to on that load. Throw in the fact that every test barrel is slightly different and we've got enough variables that it's really difficult to be certain why they got what they got.

Typically, I tend to favor the data from the powder manufacturer over that of a bullet manufacturer, but that's not an absolute. For Montana Gold JHPs, data for Hornady XTPs is usually pretty close as they're similar in profile. R,